Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

Recently I bought a 1986 Spider Veloce. It has about 100K on it.
On my other cars I frequenly clean the mass air flow sensor with the specific Spray. That improves engine performance and also the gas mileage.
I'm sure that the sensor on my Alfa has NOT been cleaned for a long time.
Now my Questions are;
1- Is that recommended on Alfa (like any other car equipped with Mass Air Flow Sensor) to clean the sensor?
2- The sensor looks very bulky from outside, Is that difficult to remove and clean it?
3- Is there anything else I should watch for in this regard?

Thank you

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
I have cleaned them using carb cleaning spray with no ill effects (well, it didn't make me look any worse than I already did so there's that...). But there should never be anything other filtered air passing through it so such cleaning is not something I routinely need to do.

Under the black plastic cover are the electronics. I'd avoid getting anything in there that could affect the electronic stuff.

While it is off, check the wire harness connector. The small terminals inside can get displaced - making it look like it is securely plugged in. But if the metal connectors are out of position it won't make a secure connection.

The most common problems with L-jetronic Spiders are intake air &/or vacuum hose leaks (aka False Air as it goes unmetered by the Air Flow Meter) and iffy grounds. Remove the oil fill cap while the engine is idling - the idle character should deteriorate (slower, erratic). If it does not then there is likely an air/vacuum leak present (removing the oil fill cap introduces an air leak as the crankcase is supposed to be sealed).

One thing you probably should clean out at least once a decade is the Oil Vapor Separator. It is a black metal can shaped item on the right inner fender. Remove it, soak it in solvent (parts cleaner) or spray a can or two of brake cleaner in it until it runs out clear. Add about 20-30 ml of engine oil to the small hose that returns condensed oil back to the sump (this acts as a one-way valve for the return hose).

Now then, about pictures. We like pictures so thus insist you post some.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,511 Posts
Your Alfa does not have a MAF (hot wire type) sensor. It has a flap type air flow meter (AFM). There is no wire to spray clean.

The AFM works via a sprung arm that rides on a very precisely calibrated carbon resistor track under the black cover. You don't want to clean that with anything as you can damage the track. The most you should do is carefully wipe down the flap and tube to remove any dirt and oil. Be careful not to damage the little air temperature sensor in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that seems to be much more complicated than cleaning the MAF sensor on Audis and Bimmers. I'll do my best not to mess up things, that regret later!
One more question;
How do you get underneath the car in order to change the oil and the tranny fluid, etc.?
I have these standard ramps but not sure if such low sitting car like Alfa can go on it?!

Thank you very much for your response.

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
What is this 'getting underneath & ramps & jack stands etc' all about? I just push a button...

OK, when I do want to drive my cars onto a ramp, I lay a piece of 1 x 6 and 2 x 6 in front of the ramp to get it started going up without dragging the air dam.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
37 Posts
What is this 'getting underneath & ramps & jack stands etc' all about? I just push a button...
View attachment 1628690

OK, when I do want to drive my cars onto a ramp, I lay a piece of 1 x 6 and 2 x 6 in front of the ramp to get it started going up without dragging the air dam.
Ok, now I'm jealous. I have a 3 car garage with one for the tractor/yard/garden stuff and the bigger garage has my Spider, Harley, and wife's Caddy in it. I really, really need another garage and this lift. <grin>

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
enough garage drooling:)...back to the AFM
I wouldn't open it, but if ever one needed to open it to adjust the arm, then
you should only use isopropyl alchohol for cleaning the track

never contact spray like crc or whatever

1 - 9 of 9 Posts