Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
764 Posts
Greg, you might have a point on this one. Who else in their right mind buys a car called "Kubang"? Where'd this one come from?? Historically, Maserati generally named their vehicles associated with engine types, astronomy or meteorologically related; e.g. 250s, 450s; Bora, Merak; Khamsin, Shamal, etc. or something that at least made since. Indy, Sebring, Mexico, Q-Porte OK but wikipedia sez Kubang is a town in Malasia. I guess this is quite fitting for this odd duck.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Kubang, like the mistral, merak, bora, etc is a wind. I agree it's an awfully odd name.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Silly stuff!

The discerning consumer of expensive cars is not this stupid! Get it together Marchionne! A Maserati SUV must be absolutely beautiful, drive like a Maserati and perform at least as well as a Cayenne Turbo to be considered (speed, handling and towing). Otherwise....forget it. The SUV market share is dropping in NA and they are somewhat out of fashion at the moment. No matter what the Italians think, the vast majority of Maserati buyers are car enthusiasts. The merely wealthy and well off will not buy a Maserati; they are happy to drive their upscale (Lexus, MB or BMW) appliances. Buying a Maserati requires an open mind, enthusiasm and critical thinking. These people will not just buy anything with a Maserati name. There is a huge risk here of ruining the good but fragile image of Maserati in NA. I am not saying that an SUV can't work (unfortunately). This Kubang, I can hear the jokes already, is just not good enough looking and does not seem like it will perform as well as the Cayenne. Just because Porsche can do it; don't think Maserati can too. Porsche had a great reputation for reliability and durability BEFORE they introduced an SUV. For some reason (History I guess) Porsche buyers seem to be willing to buy ugly Porsches. Consumers consider Maseratis exotic, beautiful, fast and potentially fragile so the Maserati must be all of these and super reliable to do well. Even then it will be tough.

In the long run, in the car business it is all about the cars. Great cars will make great car companies. BS is just that.

David

·
Banned
764 Posts
Here's an exert from the Maserati Biturbo group regarding this inquiry.

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: [BiturboZentrum] Kubang Question.

Google will tell you that Kubang is located on Java and has a wind named after it.

Mine:

I figured it'd have to have something associated with a BJ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts