Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying one of these cars- in the past month of so, 2 of them sold on Ebay in the $30-45K range. I really like the styling and the engine seems like a sterling design.

Anyone here have any experience with them ?

Driving impressions and performance ?

Facts and foibles ?

Things to look out for/repair history ?

Any opinions welcome- thanks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You might also want to check out the Maserati 3500GTiS (Sebring). I think they're in a similar price range, and from what I've read they're undervalued.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The Ghibli has been way undervalued IMO for a long time. A bargain sorta like Alfa's.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've allways loved Ghibli's and yes they are undervalued, except the Spiders. The 4.9 is the one you're going to want but quite a few have the 4.7 liter engines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 15 years ago, there was a Ghibli with some minor rust on it, but complete in the local Auto Locator used ads, for only $12,000- it needed engine work

at first I thought it had to be a misprint, and being it was so low priced, I thought there had to be something wrong with these cars

now that I know how low the production volume was, I should have JUMPED on it- it was as nice as the last few that went on Ebay for $30-45K range

those "dubious" auctions, where cars get sold, then relisted a week later

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I guess you have to consider that 'needing engine work' on a car like that could mean a $20k engine rebuild. So in real terms it probably wasn't a super deal. And at least that's some consolation for not buying it :)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Do they have chain or rubber:)() timing/cam belts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm pretty sure they have chain timing. I think DOHC, and I think they were a little late to have injection. I'm not sure I would want that much power and speed with a solid rear axle, but that's something I don't have much experience with. I know they are more tourers than track cars. And I admit the live axle in my 101 Spider is much better handling than the IRS that was in my TR4A, same era, but neither car is a 250 HP monster. Live axle would be cheaper to restore and maintain, that's for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess you have to consider that 'needing engine work' on a car like that could mean a $20k engine rebuild. So in real terms it probably wasn't a super deal. And at least that's some consolation for not buying it :)

agreed- when those cars get listed and re-appear, I read between the lines- buyer went to see car after auction, it needed much more work than he thought it would, he tried to dicker the price down but could not, so he walked and seller relisted it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure they have chain timing. I think DOHC, and I think they were a little late to have injection. I'm not sure I would want that much power and speed with a solid rear axle, but that's something I don't have much experience with. I know they are more tourers than track cars. And I admit the live axle in my 101 Spider is much better handling than the IRS that was in my TR4A, same era, but neither car is a 250 HP monster. Live axle would be cheaper to restore and maintain, that's for sure.
yes, they are DOHC chain driven, with 4 webers, if my info is correct- not injected

the beauty of a Ghibli is the body styling and interior- he outside speaks for itself, and the dash is really unique

·
Registered
354 Posts
ghibli

I would strongly recommend going to one the of specific sites/lists that deal with Masers. I can't speak to these cars specifically, but I can share my experience with a 79 308GT4 (wonderful car). One of the things many people don't recognize about "undervalued" classics (like some 1970's exotic sports and GT's) is that the price of admission may be very reasonable, but maintenance can kill you. Depending on how well the car was maintained, you can easily spend $10 or 20k and getting it up to snuff. On my Ferrari (I didn't do any of the work myself) minor service (every 15k) was $2-3K. Major service is $5-10k. You will find that every service you bring the car in for you will be replacing different things like brakes, fuel lines, etc....all of the things that just wear out, dry out.....Most of these cars have low mileage (read: not always regularly driven/maintained over decades) and many of the parts will be original.
Just do your homework and go in with your eyes open and you will be happy with your decision.

Do the ghibli's have any of the weird hydraulic stuff like some of them had..clutch maybe. Thought that was a problem area with some Masers.
-JT

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
JohnT is right and I've allways said if the low market is 30K and the high is 50K and at 50 you have a ton of receipts and recent major service. Spend the 50... Or be prepared to spend the difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maserati Ghibli Driving Impressions

I suggest you spend some time reading through the Maserati message board on Yahoo at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MASERATIGTCARS/ to gain some first-hand insight into classic Maserati ownership. Although there are some other forums dealing with Maserati, the one on Ferrarichat caters to the current (Ferrari-derived) generation of cars, and the other Yahoo group is mostly populated by Biturbo owners. Collector Ivan Ruiz also maintains a nice little site with some good Maserati links at http://www.thecarnut.com/index.html

Cheers,
- Doug in Boise, Idaho
1963 Maserati Sebring (project car)
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 (currently for sale)
1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (recently sold)
1961 Maserati 3500GT Vignale Spider (sold long ago)
etc etc etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've found there's a lot of opinions on these cars on the net, but not many people that actually own one, the production volume was quite low over the 6 year run. Parts sound like a definite problem.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Do the ghibli's have any of the weird hydraulic stuff like some of them had..clutch maybe. Thought that was a problem area with some Masers.
-JT
I don't believe they do, I think it was the cars designed and built after Citroen took control that had some of the hydraulic stuff, but I don't believe any used the suspension.

The Bora, Merak and Khamsin each used bits of Citroen technology to a greater or lesser degree. I think the Khamsin was the only one to have the clutch be hydraulically assisted. Seems like a neat thought....:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I have a freind here in New Zealand who has a Ghibli it is left hand drive he imported it from thr usa and it is up for sale again mostly i think due to health reasons. The Ghibli is a big heavy car and it drinks fuel but i guess if your used to Large 6 litre american V8 engines then the fuel consumption of under 20mpg wont bother you!
The engines have a chain drive to an auxiliary shaft at one end of the block which runs down the centre of the V, then two smaller chains that go from the auxiliary shaft in the centre of the engine up over the heads to drive both cams on each bank. Very simple idea well engineered but time consuming to set up if you need to do the valve clearances and timing adjustment!
The car is wonderful to drive on ope roads but very heavy to drive below freeway speeds! We had it runig on a dyno a few years ago and what a wonderful sound it made, certainly not the quietest car at 150mph in a small room!
Condition is every thing!, if it needs cosmetic work or mechanical work its going to be expensive as most things are either expensive hard to find or time consuming to do. I have a Maserati 430 4V and its a great machine to but i wouldnt let any inexperienced mechanic work on it. Ive also done alot of servicing on a Merak (a cut down Ghibli motor) and a Citroen Sm the engines are beautifully made!
i hope you find a nice example the Yahoo groups are a great source of information i a member of a few of them.
This Mistral is in the US somewhere for sale worth a look a straight 6 is probably much easier to look after than the V8! ...
http://classiccarfair.com/m.htm
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thanks for your reply- I've worked on/repaired/retimed several SOHC and DOHC engines before. They are fairly simple, if properly researched first- the biggest obstacle is removing parts/accessories to gain access- and of course, finding replacement parts. (assuming one has facility and tools, and is willing to get hands dirty)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ferrarichat.com has it's own Maserati section. Many owners on the site. Many discussions about the ghibli.

--Dave

believe it or not, I posted over there and did not receive a single reply

I did find Mpeg of a running Maserati V-8 w/4-webers, but this one sounds like it has a little piston slap or valve noise in it- or is that how they sound naturally ?

a neat little engine

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I did find Mpeg of a running Maserati V-8 w/4-webers, but this one sounds like it has a little piston slap or valve noise in it- or is that how they sound naturally ?

a neat little engine[/QUOTE]
Sounds right to me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts