Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about the virtues of Marvel Mystery oil for lubricating the spica Injection Pump, and for cleaning varnish and sudge from the fuel system. I have a 78 spider, with Spica injection, and I drive my car almost every day. Should I put MMO in the tank at every gas fill up, and if so, how much? Should MMO be added to oil when doing oil changes? How much?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's a quote from Wes Ingram's manual on Spica injection from page 14: "Many professional engine builders recommend additives such as Marvel Mystery Oil. It can help offset the loss of supplemental lubrication from leaded fuels. Adding a few ounces occasionally to the fuel could help prolong the life of the plungers and barrels."

Wes doesn't specify frequency or quantity; I toss in 4 oz. per tank of fuel, mainly because the MMO bottle is incremented in 4 oz. ticks.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I put 4oz. per 10 gal. at fillup, and add 8oz to the oil during a change.
Cheap insurance in my book...;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I will take your advise. I really have learned a great deal about my alfa through this forum.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Wouldn't adding MMO to the gas tank make the exhaust soot up and leave black marks on the parking spot? Four oz. sounds like alot to add to 10 gal.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
All things in moderation. I like MMO for many things but adding to the fuel tank does introduce oil into the combustion chamber. Notwithstanding Wes Ingrahm's quote above, if Spica did any development on their fuel systems, Spica should have taken into consideration unleaded fuels by 1979.

On a side note at one time I liked Judson superchargers. MMO was required to lube the vanes in the supercharger. MMO never did any harm and as I recall the cumbustion chamber was always clean.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Space technology? They say that now?

MMO was developed or improved for use in Messerschmitt inline aircraft engines during WWII.

Right around the time Molybendum Disulfied was being introduced in the Merlin engines on the other side of the channel.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:confused:I also heard it is a good Mosquito repellent.:)

;););)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I refer to the much hyped "Marvel Mystery" name.
I was trying to make an irony about the "99% less friction - 50% more power" type of products.
Anyway, MMO seems like a very good product and it certainly not runs into that category!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ah, I get it, you mean stuff like the tornado, fuel warmers, rear wings on front wheel drives, and stick on hood scoops with no hole under them then :) (that last is my favorite as I've seen one with 'gives a perceived 15-20hp increase in power' printed right on the box. Apparently kids today don't know what 'perceived' actually means LOL)

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Question:

If you spray it on your joints, will it help with arthritis?

·
Registered
452 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts