Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Nice car. A couple of questions:

1 - How does the pedal feel with the brake boosters removed?

2 - What is the process for programming the fuel injection?
1- I have a boosterless setup with the same Alfaholics calipers. It's certainly a firm feel, but great modulation. I don't find the braking force to be inordinately hard.

2- Can't speak to this ECU specifically, but most aftermarket ECUs have software you can load onto your laptop that will interface with the ECU. You have a table for timing and fuel that you can adjust as you see fit. Most also have some sort of autotune feature for fuel that will read from a wideband 02 sensor and adjust fuel to keep AFR in a defined range.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thats some pretty healthy power, but man looking at those receipts...
It's very nicely done, but you certainly pay a pretty penny if you just hand Alfaholics (or similar) a credit card and say "make it awesome." You could do the same thing for a small fraction if doing your own work.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
So much for "only factory original gets the big money..."
I think Alfaholics and the broader restomod craze (see also Singer on the Porsche side) has changed that. But only the "big name" restomods get the big bucks. Homebuilt examples tend not to fetch those prices (even if well done and built with high quality parts) I think the fact that the motor was actually built by Alfaholics helps.

Keep in mind that the GTA-R waiting list is approaching 10 years long and you are going to spend close to $500k in the end. While this car didn't quite get the full GTA-R treatment, it does serve to reason that an Alfaholics built car you can drive home today would get into the six figures.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't understand the concept "injection with carburetor", or I miss something ?
For me you have carburetors or injection, not both.
It's using fuel injection throttle bodies that are made to look like carburetors. These:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ruin? As someone who rode shotgun in Max's personal GTA-R 290, I can attest that "ruin" is the antithesis of what Alfaholics does.

Alfa Romeo literally made hundreds of thousands of 105/115s. Unjustifiably dislike what Alfaholics does? Go buy one and do whatever you want to with it. Alfaholics has done wonders for enthusiasts, certainly more than you'll ever contribute.

There is no reason to be an insufferable purist.
Some people do ruin cars with modifications, but hardly every modified car is.

I get wanting to keep truly rare cars stock. Nobody is going to restomod a 250 GTO- too rare and valuable. But there were enough 105/115 cars produced that there’s room for the purists and the restomod crowd to do as they wish. Many of the restomodded cars are ones that might otherwise ended up as piles of iron oxide (or were well on their way before they were restomodded). Surely a restomod is a better fate than the scrap heap.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
When I say ruin, I mean they can't be returned back to stock if a future owner so decides.

Putting carbon panels on a GT is I believe unreturnable. With that model, I think they've gone a little too far. Their quality is undeniable and I buy parts happily from them.

Ànd I do own one and doing what I like to it :)

BTW I think many people overstate how many of these cars Alfa Romeo made. It's not hundreds of thousands, but closer to 100 thousand
Pete
I don’t think we are ever going to run out of stock ones. And the carbon panels don’t change the look or function of the car, so I’m not sure why someone would want to. Very few of the GTA-Rs have integral carbon panels. Most just have hood/trunk lid and maybe doors. You could undo those if you wanted.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Okay, apologies.

Note they only made 44,000 1750 GTVs total. Thankfully they made 91,000 1300 GT Juniors because of the remaining 50%, 40% of those would be GTA replicas or look-a-likes. We are not talking Ford Mustangs here. Ford would have made that number in a week or 2
Pete
Don't forget 25,000 GTV 2000s. Not like Mustangs where they literally made millions, but I'd say 160k is a pretty healthy production run for a sports coupe.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
50%, at least, would have been crashed or rusted away by now ... but yeah, they are just cars :)
Pete
To be fair, probably even more than that. There are more sports car survivors than regular car survivors (I see more GTVs than Pintos around even though they made a million Pintos). But I’d be surprised if there are more than 30k GTs in either driveable or restorable condition today. If so, that’s still a lot given that they are such a niche market.

Reactions: PSk
1 - 8 of 8 Posts