Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am wanting to re-chrome my original 'Marini' mirror - does anybody know how these break apart into their individual components so I can get them to the chromers. Especially, how does the glass separate from the metal parts.

I have attached a picture (not my actual mirror) for reference. I know you can get new ones but they don't have the 'Marini' markings (unless you know otherwise).

Many Thanks,

Gary

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Gary,

That mirror is a later vintage replacement to the original that came with your car. I'm pretty sure reproduction mirrors like yours are available.

EDIT: I cannot find anyone selling that mirror, yet. I am certain that Franco Polacci was making these 20 years ago when I visited him. Unfortunately, his website is pretty out of date.

LARAM :: Produzione e Assemblaggio Ricambi Auto d'Epoca
how can you tell thats a later replacement and not an original? im looking for another original mirini mirror to match my drivers side...

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
how can you tell thats a later replacement and not an original? im looking for another original mirini mirror to match my drivers side...
Original mirrors for that vintage of Alfa did not have any markings on them. This reproduction mirror is as close to the original tat you can get.

The round mirrors with the logo on them were put on the 2 liter cars, I think. Every round tail and 1750 kamm tail I've seen were sold with a mirror on them like in the picture.

I am not certain when the Marini mirror showed up, but it was not OE on the round tail Spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Original mirrors for that vintage of Alfa did not have any markings on them. This reproduction mirror is as close to the original tat you can get.

The round mirrors with the logo on them were put on the 2 liter cars, I think. Every round tail and 1750 kamm tail I've seen were sold with a mirror on them like in the picture.

I am not certain when the Marini mirror showed up, but it was not OE on the round tail Spider.
the early ones dont any markings on them i believe. the mid year 4 lamp 1750 may have or may not have the markings. They do have repros that are closer to the op pic with the quadrofolio at the blunt center but not all of them have the other script and nomenclature. im looking for an original with the nomenclature that matches my mirror.

marini mirror: portalclassic-japan blog

both types of repros

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/1511-what-view-2.html

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
to get the mirror apart, you'll need to carefully (as in: really, very carefully!) pry the glass out of (or out with?) the plastic seal and then behind that you will find somethig like a pin holding a spring.

this is an original vitaloni mirror one of the german forum guys just took apart to have the glass replaced with spherical, lightly tinted mirror glass.
Marini might be different, so just for info;)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Those mirrors are very different than the round ones. The round mirror is glued on and will more then likely break when pried off.
learned something new!
thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue with the round mirror on my GTV - I wanted to keep the original mirror to the car with the Marini part number. I tried gently heating the glass to melt the glue, which was partly successful when just as the glue was sufficiently tacky to allow the glass to move it cracked. Anyway, quick trip to local glass shop - and £8 later new glass cut. Then got the mirror rechromed and all looks like new!

Ian

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
Here are some pictures I took of an older version of the round rear view mirror. I am sure the construction of the Marini is quite similar.

On the underside, you'll need to remove the two small machine screws to expose the ball and socket. On the inside of the mirror approximately at the 12 o'clock position, the pin from the ball can be seen. This is splines and a press fit. So, it will need to be very carefully pressed out.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts