Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question in another thread, but surprisingly no answer. Maybe it needs its own thread to get attention?

I know the distributor on a RHD Montreal is mounted on the left bank, whereas our LHD cars are mounted on the right. Can anyone advise whether the two distributors rotate opposite to each other? Decades ago, when Alfa mounted a distributor on either the right or left cam of a 1900 (or cast iron 2000) they rotated in opposite directions.

If they simply used the same exhaust cam used in a LHD drive engine, but in the left bank, and if the distributor vertical shaft is mounted on the inside of the cam, just like it is when mounted on the right bank, then it should rotate in an opposite direction.

The LHD cars rotate the distributor clockwise seen from the top, and I need to know if the RHD cars rotate counter-clockwise.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don,
On my RHD car the Distributor rotates Clockwise looking down on it (Plan View). It is on the Left Hand Side of the engine, yes running off the Outside Camshaft. The 5, 6, 7 & 8 Cylinder Head.
And yes, I too had a problem timing the Distributor after taking it apart! I ended up moving all the ignition leads 1 spot to the left and setting the Timing to the Lower level on the Rotor. Running perfectly now...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts