Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a Marelli regulator and would like to convert it to solid state. I think PMX here in Portland can do the work or I may send it to Wilton Auto Electric. My question is, this unit looks a little different from the wiring diagram I have. The unit only has three posts on one side plus a ground screw connecting point on the main chassis bracket. The diagram (provided by Bill Gillham) has 3 on on side and 2 on the other. This unit has two covers. The first outer steel cover, was already removed when I received it. The second inner aluminum cover is riveted. They both fit together as they look like they were intended. Is this unit appropriate for a 750/101 series Veloce? If so, what wires go where? I don't see any markings on the actual posts. I am not worried about the internal workings as they will be gutted and replaced with a solid state unit.

Thanks,

George

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the wiring layout with numbers. Supplied again by Bill Gillham. Come on guys, someone knows the answer. Gordon, Stuart, GTD, papajam?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
George,

I think you have an aftermarket regulator and a loose Marelli regulator cover.
I have a regulator with the aluminum cover with the embossed winged U. Know any electrical part suppliers with a name that starts with a U?

Doug
Long Beach CA

Attachments

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Here is the wiring layout with numbers. Supplied again by Bill Gillham. Come on guys, someone knows the answer. Gordon, Stuart, GTD, papajam?
It's not what you want so ditch it.. Regardless, the Marelli cover just happens to nest over it and is not remotely associated with the silver one which is not for your intended use. I had one of those to and pitched it. Your flea market find is useless to your endeavor.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
In reply

George
Regarding your post and questions:
They both fit together as they look like they were intended. Is this unit appropriate for a 750/101 series Veloce? If so, what wires go where? I don't see any markings on the actual posts. I am not worried about the internal workings as they will be gutted and replaced with a solid state unit.
a) They were never intended to fit together - your's is an example of a PO's flock-up, using an original Marelli cover over some Unamed regulator.
And No ... I don't see it as appropriate for what purports to be an accurate, restored, 750/101 series Veloce.
b) The wires can be fitted to the Unamed regulator by matching the diagram imprinted on its silver cover to the numbers on the Marelli terminals.
Using your pics as reference:

LEFT terminal # 51 to Battery/starter

CENTER terminal #61 to Dynamo output and GEN light in tri-gauge

RIGHT terminal DF to Dynamo field wire

GROUND point to chassis ground

But if you're not utilizing the internals of this regulator ... your solid state substitution will require modifications, why do you care how it was connected?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
for future reference

Perhaps this post will assist others who link to this thread using the SEARCH feature.

Here follows a copy of Bill Gillham's wiring diagram with terminal numbering added.
Also ... additional pics of original Magnetti Marelli voltage regulators.

Translation of the wording on the original label:

Do not mix terminals 31 and DF or the regulator fails. The terminal DF must not have any capacitors attached to it.

For systems with negative ground

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wnated, Marelli for sale.

Thanks guys. This is what I was afraid of. So, my search goes on. Does anyone have a 'correct' Marelli regulator they could sell me? Unless it is perfect, it will be restored to cosmetically perfect as original. So if one is in restorable condition I am interested.

Contact me PM or through my email below.

Thanks, George

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a correct one, from the generosity of one of you. The incorrect one I have is going back to the seller, one way or another.

Thanks to all...

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
,A paragraph from the Sept.63' Alfa Owner. "The German Uher RSN,12/160 A voltage regulator,replacement part for Veloces,continues to give excellent service at low original cost(&8.30 retail).I hope that it is available to Alfa owners in other parts of the country".Regards,Phil

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
That pretty much explains where these came from. Thanks for clearing that up. Albeit, George's interest in authenticity beyond substitution, trumps the use of one of these. Your assignment is to catalog and index every relevant article in the Alfa Owner. You seem to be on your way to a career. R&T sadly discontinued the practice of indexing a full year in the December issue. It's a rag I don't read anymore after Rob Walker stopped reporting the GP's back in the previous century.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: "George's interest in authenticity beyond substitution..."
Unless George (alfabits) is working on a 750 Veloce restoration ... he would do better to retain the BOSCH electrical components in his Black Beauty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Found a correct one, from the generosity of one of you. The incorrect one I have is going back to the seller, one way or another.

Thanks to all...
Hello George,

I wish you good luck with part returning. I have bad experience with parts that were sent but were not items that they should be. Nobody accepted complaint, nor even apologized for bad delivery. Actually there was no reply from them since. (Some are even here on forum.)

Regards,
Zlatko

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
So sorry to have replied so late to this thread. I have found that the Marelli regulators to be very good and so I am tempted to ask why replace this with a modern component?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: "George's interest in authenticity beyond substitution..."
Unless George (alfabits) is working on a 750 Veloce restoration ... he would do better to retain the BOSCH electrical components in his Black Beauty.alfazagato
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
So sorry to have replied so late to this thread. I have found that the Marelli regulators to be very good and so I am tempted to ask why replace this with a modern component? NO POINTS:)
Am I mistaken or weren't All Giulietta Veloce's, including 'transition' 101's, Marelli equipped. And, 750 Normale's Lucas, and 101 Normale's Bosh?

George

1 - 17 of 17 Posts