Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello members,

Yesterday (Sunday the 24th of October 2010), Marchionne said in an Italian television program that Fiat is going to make a profit of 2 billion euro's this year. According to Marchionne, Fiat is not making any profit in Italy, it is making a loss there. He also said that one factory with 6.100 workers in Poland is producing just as much as five factories in Italy with 22.000 workers and that Fiat doesn't need Italy to make cars.

According to a Dutch commentator, the Italian unions (refusing to cut on breakes during working hours and refusing to reduce the rights to strike for everything) and the Italian working ethics are part of the problem. According to this commentator, a lot of Italians agree with the analysis regarding the unions and the working ethics. This commentator also said that Fiat can't leave Italy if it wanted to, because the Italian government has put so much money in Fiat.

So if Marchionne is planning to produce 500.000 Alfa Romeo's in the future, he will probably not want to be producing them in Italy?

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
606 Posts
I won't be buying any Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati not made in Italy.

They are cars with Italian souls, made by passionate Italians. Special cars.

My thoughts,

ncng

·
Registered
432 Posts
ncng,

I know what you mean bro...a buddy of mine stripped his Stepnose GTV down to the bare metal before it went it for a complete resto. The guy that rebuilt his car wasn't Italian so when the job was done, the car was complete and looked amazing....but Guess What? THERE WAS NO SOUL IN THE CAR ANYMORE BECAUSE THE GUY THAT DID THE REDO JOB WAS IRISH AMERICAN!!!

I told my friend that he f'ed up big time by not having a passionate Italian do the job for him. He tried to tell me that it was almost the same thing since most Irish are Roman Catholic just like the passionate Italians that use to build Alfas but I was like, "No way."

I told him that just because the Irish and Italians were both largely Catholic and had large groups of their population immigrate to the United States at roughly the same time and share neighborly slums in the Bronx...that it was still not "the same thing."

He said I was full of crap and that its debatable whether or not all the people that worked those Italian factories were even Italian (they very well could have been Irish or even Albanian for that matter)...so people who were driving around with Alfa's built in Italy might not even be in cars that were "full Italian."

Then he shrugged and said, "I heard that the steel for those cars wasn't even mined from Italy and that it came from the USSR...so none of that matters."

I was like, "Whatever dude!!! We both know that the car you drive now has no soul and there's no way around it unless you strip in back down to the bare metal and have the whole thing redone again by an Italian guy."

In any case, he never did that so it's now safe to say that his GTV essentially has no soul anymore. It's a shame too because the things drives amazingly and looks like it belongs in a museum.

·
Registered
606 Posts
ncng,

I know what you mean bro...a buddy of mine stripped his Stepnose GTV down to the bare metal before it went it for a complete resto. The guy that rebuilt his car wasn't Italian so when the job was done, the car was complete and looked amazing....but Guess What? THERE WAS NO SOUL IN THE CAR ANYMORE BECAUSE THE GUY THAT DID THE REDO JOB WAS IRISH AMERICAN!!!

I told my friend that he f'ed up big time by not having a passionate Italian do the job for him. He tried to tell me that it was almost the same thing since most Irish are Roman Catholic just like the passionate Italians that use to build Alfas but I was like, "No way."

I told him that just because the Irish and Italians were both largely Catholic and had large groups of their population immigrate to the United States at roughly the same time and share neighborly slums in the Bronx...that it was still not "the same thing."

He said I was full of crap and that its debatable whether or not all the people that worked those Italian factories were even Italian (they very well could have been Irish or even Albanian for that matter)...so people who were driving around with Alfa's built in Italy might not even be in cars that were "full Italian."

Then he shrugged and said, "I heard that the steel for those cars wasn't even mined from Italy and that it came from the USSR...so none of that matters."

I was like, "Whatever dude!!! We both know that the car you drive now has no soul and there's no way around it unless you strip in back down to the bare metal and have the whole thing redone again by an Italian guy."

In any case, he never did that so it's now safe to say that his GTV essentially has no soul anymore. It's a shame too because the things drives amazingly and looks like it belongs in a museum.
Its why these cars are loved so much, Italian SOUL, made in Italy by Italian craftsmen, so some other cars have souls too, British, German, American, some Japanese and French, but nothing like Italy, and I guess you can only really love one girl?

ncng

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Arna,

That piece is worthy of Oscar Wilde... pure genius :D

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
The thing that gets me is the way people who don't own Alfas, but respect them, feel it is compulsory to say that the cars have soul and are fun to drive etc, but of course the build quality and reliability is typically Italian. In my opinion this is just another of those myths people love to perpetuate and which are not based on fact. They even say it about the new models. The build quality on my 75s is first class in my opinion. The plastic parts on these cars are excellent quality and I have never seen a 75 with a cracked dash - even in our intense heat. I have never experienced another car on which the doors close with the ease of a 164. The 33s did have poor quality plastics, but they were built to a price. I am sick and tired of hearing that same old crap from people.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am sick and tired of hearing that same old crap from people.
Don't be. Getting hit with stereotypical nonsense and erroneous third party hearsay is part of the whole Alfa ownership experience. I don't care. I have an Alfa, they don't, and I'm not about to play missionary to a bunch of stooges.

And for that matter, many Alfisti are guilty of spreading embarrassing FUD about their own marque. Not long ago someone (here on alfabb) claimed both the 105-series GTV and the 75/Milano was made with the now almost legendary "russian steel". Works great as an in-joke among Alfisti, but not for much else.

It never ceases to amaze me that we on one hand praise the Italian culture and traditions for coming up with an insutrial product like the Alfa Romeo, while we on the other hand scoff at things we can't recognize in the same society. Car people are probably more polarized than any other fringe group on this planet, and sometimes they appear to be among the more intolerant and uneducated ones as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Car people are probably more polarized than any other fringe group on this planet, and sometimes they appear to be among the more intolerant and uneducated ones as well.
Do you think that this also might be the reason why nobody responded to the Jillian70's "How to write a great used car ad" post even though its been viewed almost 80 times (to date)? Perhaps the reason is that most car people, including Alfisti, do not understand the general ideas of existentialism because they are, as you put it, uneducated? Are they intolerant to making contributions because the ad is for a Mercedes and not an Alfa??? Or do they just have nothing to say? The ratio to the "views" that threads get around here versus the actual responses that they collect is truly amazing. You really got me thinking!!!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Marchionne Says He Isn't Making a Profit in Italy

While there are some under educated who, I'm sure, own Alfas -- I'm pretty sure the demographics show that the majority of Alfa owners are more educated rather than less educated; not arguing the premise on a degree awarded vs. education garnered basis.

Just look at the wide variety of well educated, broad field of knowledge and depth of understanding that bbers display in their posts on various topics. We're not the only Alfa owners, that is to say, that many highly educated Alfa owners who wish not to have a public image because of what they own or for some other reason are not accounted for in this community.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, I wasn't insinuating that anyone here was "uneducated." I was only making a tongue-in-cheek comment about the assumption that "car people" are largely uneducated. While I'm aware of the stereotype, I would never agree with it...because I am a "car person" and I don't think I'm stupid or uneducated.

And on the whole, I think Alfa people are among the smartest minority of "car people" out there by default because of the cars that they choose to own.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Shooting at the piano player is always fun. Education does not necessarily come in form of a degree, and the amount of knees jerking whenever a slightly unsavoury subject comes up just proves my point.

I stand by my opinion: Alfisti are often their own worst enemy. If you're uneducated (or undeveloped, unguided, whatever), you're nothing but a passionate consumer. Technical appreciation and numbers on paper are only a small part of an Alfa Romeo. To really appreciate an Italian car (or Parma ham for that matter) takes a whole life.

The Alfa spirit is alive, but too many people are talking about rust, whether they will look good in a MiTo or not, second hand value and aftermarket wheels. Sad.

Cue the knee-jerks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Olaf,
Thanks for the info. Interesting but hardly a suprize.
Guess I'm only so concerned as to where they, or anything, is manufactured these days. So long as Excellent design considerations, sound engineering, quality ingredients, responsible manufactuering, good workmanship, and a livable wage, and decent working conditions are employed and/or followed. Not every manufacturer can nail my seven preferences, egalitarian as they may be, however may they strive to do so and reap the rewards, trade laws allowing, so far as market share is concerned.
Chris

·
Registered
228 Posts
Italian or not, all our cars are definetly Italian because all are pre 95! The marque was established 100 years ago and provided more automotive advancements into the 90's than many manufactures. We enjoy the designs and performance and handling that is all italian with major flare. My 1st was a 57 spider that I bought in 62 and drove and raced up to 69 when I switched into porsche. I never forgot that car even while driving and racing porsches. Got out of sports cars in 81 and always looked back at the fun and exhilaration of my old spider. January, 09 I found a 73 spider for full resto and now have a 76, 81, 86 quad and a 91. I have driven porsches since and do not get the fun and and thrill of my quad zipping through the curves hanging the tail out that is totally missing from these modern cars. Who gives a hoot about where they are made! They are designed and engineered in Italy by Italians that love the marque. If they have to be constructed elsewhere to keep the marque profitable, so be it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts