1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
He's talking tough. Perhaps either to set us up to be crushed or just to gain leverage at home:

"The next days of Alfa, the way in which it becomes a full, legitimate, premium brand, is by coming to the U.S.," he said. "And the U.S. now, because of what we have been able to do with Chrysler, has got first dibs — and probably undeniable dibs — to try and play as the producing country for the relaunch of Alfa.​

"We're now looking at the United States as being not only a production hub for Alfa, but also the basis on which the brand itself is going to be relaunched. That car is going to be manufactured in the bloody United States. If we had done this on our own — and I mean Fiat now — out of Europe, we would have been dealing with a much more restrictive market."​

Marchionne: Fiat needs to take a cue from Chrysler | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

·
Registered
573 Posts
Looks like alfamaven was pretty close on his information and comments.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 17th 2012

·
Registered
58 Posts
f1 Tommy,
My commentary is based on excerpts from various conversations and pics that I run across along with SM's speeches and analysis of scenarios that transpire such as production shifts or HW's observations. For example, SM's latest pronouncement that a larger alfa could be made in Michigan suggests that a new flagship originally proposed to be made at Brampton ONT could be shifted to Sterling Heights MI as it was recently expanded for possible alfa production. The original chrysler LX platform isn't suitable for export, so they will probably use an extended C-US Wide platform for it or a new D platform. Another example is FG's intention to use runflat tires on all new vehicles. This is going to be a big mistake as runflat technology is half-baked and costly for owners. On my new Kamal cuv I am going to refuse them and use Yokohama suv tires with Slime tire sealant at the dealer. That is simply more cost effective.

·
Registered
573 Posts
f1 Tommy,
My commentary is based on excerpts from various conversations and pics that I run across along with SM's speeches and analysis of scenarios that transpire such as production shifts or HW's observations. For example, SM's latest pronouncement that a larger alfa could be made in Michigan suggests that a new flagship originally proposed to be made at Brampton ONT could be shifted to Sterling Heights MI as it was recently expanded for possible alfa production. The original chrysler LX platform isn't suitable for export, so they will probably use an extended C-US Wide platform for it or a new D platform. Another example is FG's intention to use runflat tires on all new vehicles. This is going to be a big mistake as runflat technology is half-baked and costly for owners. On my new Kamal cuv I am going to refuse them and use Yokohama suv tires with Slime tire sealant at the dealer. That is simply more cost effective.
To be honest, your commentary seems to be better than the magazines. Keep updating us if you read or talk to anyone on this subject. I have read some of the same info in Quattroruote, but you seem to have put it all together better than they did.

Any Maserati, Ferrari and FIAT news you find would also be most welcome.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 17th 2012
at Continental Autosport Ferrari/Maserati. A Ferrari Club of America event

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Uh Oh.

Auto Italia had an article a few issues back on the new "Lancias" in the UK which are just Chryslers made in the US with different bodies and Lancia badges on them.

So, will our new "Alfa Romeos" be merely Chryslers and Dodges with the hallowed Alfa Romeo script plastered on? :eek:

Chrysler TC by Maserati anyone? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Auto Italia had an article a few issues back on the new "Lancias" in the UK which are just Chryslers made in the US with different bodies and Lancia badges on them.

So, will our new "Alfa Romeos" be merely Chryslers and Dodges with the hallowed Alfa Romeo script plastered on? :eek:

Chrysler TC by Maserati anyone? :rolleyes:

Sort of like an Audi is just a Volkswagen with more options and a Audi logo on it?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Sort of like an Audi is just a Volkswagen with more options and a Audi logo on it?
Yeah, some are. The Golf/Beetle/TT share much in common (platform, hard points, base engines, suspension components). I am not sure if they are all manufactured on the same lines but it shouldn't be hard to find out. They share more in common than VAG would like the (Audi) consumer to know. Of course this is not new, the old Beetle/411 square back/Karmann Ghia are were on the same platform too.

Also, it is clear from the Auto Italia article that the UK Lancias are really Chryslers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not strictly true; Lancia as a name is not being marketed in the UK - all are being marketed as Cryslers.

The Chrysler Delta and Ypsilon are Lancias with Chrysler badges on (or more correctly the Lancia varients of Fiat Group cars as sold in Europe). In the UK they are badged as Chryslers, so we also have the Chrysler Grand Voyager and 300C.

Chrysler UK - www.chrysler.co.uk

In Mainland Europe they are being marketed as Lancia so they have the "new" Lancia Thema which is a re-badged 300C.

Lancia New Thema

As a Lancia fan (so fellow FG sufferer) I admire your optimism on FG's plans for Alfa in the 'states, but should you be in the business of holding your breath I would make your last will and testament now and say goodbye to your family :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
SM has already said that alfa is going to remain true to its heritage. In the case of US manufacture there will be improvements made such as Mopar 409 stainless exhaust systems tuned italian style rather than original Magneti Marelli mild steel. Mopar will handle replacement parts for both Chrysler and Fiat Group vehicles. Performance parts will probably be Mopar.

·
Registered
432 Posts
SM has already said that alfa is going to remain true to its heritage.
I wonder what "heritage" he is referring to. Is it the one that's given us fwd, badge-engineered Fiats for the last two decades? Or is it the one that's given us light-weight, independently designed sports cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Marchionne on Making Alfas in the U.S.

I wonder what "heritage" he is referring to. Is it the one that's given us fwd, badge-engineered Fiats for the last two decades? Or is it the one that's given us light-weight, independently designed sports cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's?
My guess, would be the latter, if we ever see "new" Alfas. However, I'm not holding my breath to see it happen and if it does my some miracle, I expect a badge-engineered Alfa. We will never see the Alfas that we all knew and loved again...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alfas won't be badge engineered. Parts may be similar to Chrysler designs but won't be interchangeable. The 1.8 liter aluminum alloy turbo is in fact a crate engine that is exclusive to alfa built in Italy. Heritage means quick, nimble performance for the serious driver as it has been regardless of rwd or fwd. That's why alfa has been established as one of the ten greatest marques in the world. BTW some of them no longer exist. Alfa will return in 2013 starting with the cuv, followed by a revised MiTo with a five door variant, giulia sedan/sportwagon, and a new spider at about six month intervals through 2014. Giulietta isn't eligible.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
"Giulietta isn't eligible"

And yet, the new Dodge Dart will be based on a Giulietta for the most part. Figure that one out. Is it because in order to make a Dodge, the Giulietta must be degraded to the extent that no one else would like it except the DOT?

I think instead it is just really poor marketing by Fiat, as the base car is still the same. We could have had the Giulietta in the showroom along side the Fiat 500.

What are they smoking?

·
Registered
58 Posts
In a test market, the Giulietta c- evo chassis was considered too narrow for our market and too costly to re-engineer. The cuv will have stretched and slightly modified Giulietta bodywork on the C-US wide platform with a better engine and improved suspension exclusive to alfa. Tooling is now being installed at the Toledo jeep works with launch scheduled for early 2013.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
with launch scheduled for early 2013.
I hope this is in time to placate the Fiat dealers who (as I understand it) are upset that they shelled out cash for new Fiat show rooms but only have the 500 to sell (so far) making it hard to recoup their investment in bricks and mortar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dealers have been informed. The cuv is going to be a huge hit, since specs are top notch. The engine and suspension are alfa exclusives. Bodywork is slightly stretched and modified Giulietta with more room. Hardware is upgraded by Mopar using 409 stainless for the exhaust with italian tuning. A seven speed DCT will be offered along with AWD. Runflat tires is its only fault which is easily remedied as explained earlier. That's due to politics with the tire makers.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,604 Posts
Dealers have been informed. The cuv is going to be a huge hit, since specs are top notch. The engine and suspension are alfa exclusives. Bodywork is slightly stretched and modified Giulietta with more room. Hardware is upgraded by Mopar using 409 stainless for the exhaust with italian tuning. A seven speed DCT will be offered along with AWD. Runflat tires is its only fault which is easily remedied as explained earlier. That's due to politics with the tire makers.
I hope that there is a provision for carrying a spare tire. A certain German auto manufacturer does not put a spare tire well in their cars. I hope Alfas aren't going to be that way.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
The spare tire issue is one more reason to look askance at what may come out of Fiat/Alfa if they go that way.

I've read that some new cars don't even come with a jack, let alone a spare of any kind. Sometimes they come with a pressure bottle to reinflate the tire. And run flats aren't the greatest tires because of their special construction.

Maybe it works in Europe; however, let's face it, in the relatively large US if you take a trip you can easily be much further away from help than based upon the allowable distances/speeds for mini spares or deflated run flats. Pressurized tire inflator cans are not that great, as if a sidewall is torn, it can't be reinflated or fixed. This happened to a friend of mine with a Boxster S. Tire couldn't be reinflated, and no one in the area had a tire that size. Stuck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts