Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some pretty distinct headlights on my new-to-me GTV. Can someone tell me what the lower portion of the headlight does? Is it supposed to be a 'city light'?

·
Registered
226 Posts
yup-amplilux's. The bottom part of the lamp is the hi beam. This lamp is way cool with 2 individual bulbs. A great link with everything you need right here...SEV Marchal E2 Amplilux Headlights.

I would say they are rare but I still find them for sale brand new from time to time. They are popular for sure. Very period correct lamp for the gtv. Some folks like the Carello (cursive script) with the convex glass face compared to the look of the flat face of this particular Marchal. Other Marchals are convex face too but not this model. I like either lamp on an Alfa-can't go wrong.

Lucky you.

·
Premium Member
21,347 Posts
These can be very pricey when sold because the Ferrari guys want them. They look great. I have pics of them on a stellar GTA Stradale in 1977.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I bought a pair of Marchals (don't recall the model number) for my '69 Fiat AC 124 sport back in the early '80s. 100W I think, they are awesome.

The Hella H4s I have in my'69 1750 GTV are pretty good too.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I had a set of Marchal inner driving lights on my GTV, they were awesome, even with 40 year old bulbs in them. They are hard to find, and they are fairly valuable. They often pop up on Ferraris.

Will

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sounds like you should-

Find a rich Ferrari owner and sell him the lights for a fortune.

Buy a set of Carello replicas for the car.

Spend the difference on booze, girls and helicopters.

Or you could just fritter it away on something frivolous...

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I have an NOS pair of Ampilux lights that I purchased back in the 70's. They will fit early GTVs with the "nub" mounts (see photos) but Alfa changed the headlight buckets to use a slotted tab to mount headlights. I used them for awhile on my 67 GTV and found them to be excellent. On a dark night, the lower high beams were like lazers with very focused high intensity light. Another advantage (as shown in the photo) is that the lights were designed to allow a variety of different wiring arrangements. You could, for instance, have both high and low beam on simultaneously. I quickly discovered the necessity for relays because the lights would burn out the light switch at inopportune moments (like at night during a rainstorm).

Sadly, they won't fit later European alfas, including my Super, because these cars used the slotted tab mount. American market cars, however, continued to use the original nub style mounts and so the Ampiluxes will easily fit.

So: Early 105 cars can use these (with relays). Later European market cars can't use them without changing to the early style buckets. All American market Alfas can use these headlights.

They look cool on Alfas so you'll get plenty of street cred if they're on your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I put Cibie in my 105 - there were fabulous and looked period correct. Shame I can't get similar performance from the smaller gtv6 lights.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I'd like to install my Ampiluxes on my Super but it looks like I'll have to change the headlight buckets so they'll accept the earlier (now more common) "nub" headlight mounts.

I have some old buckets and hardware from my old stepnose which I could use, but I've never done this kind of mod. Does anyone know if the old style buckets will bolt into a Super with the tab mounts and buckets? I've noticed that Wipac in the UK has some universial buckets which will mount the Marchals but I'm not sure if they're worth buying to try.

So: Can I replace one style bucket with another? Aside from relays, what mods to the wiring harness are necessary? Is there an easier way to fit one style headlight into the other bucket?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
These early headlights ( Marachal and Cibie) were especially good if you could get the "off-road" H1 and H4 bulbs. I have a sets of H4's that are 160/130 Watt (hi/lo), and some 160 W H1's. Three to four times the light of today's 55 W wimps, plus the superb shaped beams of the lenses on these headlights. DEFINITELY need relays with these bulbs, and a big alternator as well! Wired to all-on (lows on with the highs, high beams as flashers, 160W fog lights), the 900 Watts of light pressed my Milano 85 amp alternator to its limit. Use 10 ga wire from the relays to the lights as well.

And I can drive in daylight during a midnight storm!

Replacements for the 160/130 W bulbs are rare, and my stock is dwindling slowly.....

Robert

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
interesting - how do I tell what wattage bulbs I have?

Will I be able to always get replacement bulbs for these? (ie - do I have to worry about running them and not being able to replace them?)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
These headlights typically take H1 (single filament) or H4 (double filament Hi/Lo) bulbs. These are readily available in stock DOT approved 55 watt versions, and less commonly in 100 watt or 100/55 watt versions. It's the "off-road" (means not DOT approved for use in the USA) high powered ones that are harder to find. Currently I can get 130/100 watt H4's and 100 (sometimes 130 watt) H1's, even from JC Whitney, but I can't find the 160/130 watt versions that were available a few years ago.

Robert

·
Registered
99 Posts
So how do these work on a 4 light GTV? do you guys turn the inner 2 high beam lights into fog lights?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It really depends on which market the GTV was sold in and what lighting has been upgraded or modified over time. If you’re restoring your car, you have the opportunity to upgrade with relays and suit your local and driving needs. Try contacting Daniel Stern. He can set you up with whatever you need.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts