Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there a symbol of a Maple Leaf and not a car symbol for the Montreal. I imagine the new format designer of the ABB think this section is about the city in Canada and not the car. One of the moderators should ask for it to be corrected.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Why is there a symbol of a Maple Leaf and not a car symbol for the Montreal.
Hi Brad, I noticed long ago that if you use the drop down menu under 'forums' there was a maple leaf next to the "Alfa Romeo Montreal" heading. I thought it appropriate that such a unique car would have a unique symbol. I am sure that the site designers did it intentionally and I like it. Please don't start a campaign to have it changed to the little box car shape. Perhaps you, being from Ontario, could explain the significance of the maple leaf. All the maple syrup in my house came from Vermont and I love it; should have had pancakes this morning. Maple syrup is good in hot tea as well.
Mark

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi Brad, I noticed long ago that if you use the drop down menu under 'forums' there was a maple leaf next to the "Alfa Romeo Montreal" heading. I thought it appropriate that such a unique car would have a unique symbol. I am sure that the site designers did it intentionally and I like it. Please don't start a campaign to have it changed to the little box car shape. Perhaps you, being from Ontario, could explain the significance of the maple leaf. All the maple syrup in my house came from Vermont and I love it; should have had pancakes this morning. Maple syrup is good in hot tea as well.
Mark
The Canadian flag. Quebec is the world leader in maple syrup production.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark
I doubt it was intentional. There are quite a few other unique cars in the heading list. I demand that the GT section get a unique icon as well.!!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Of course the Montreal has very little to do with Canada and the Maple leaf, so the symbolism is a bit lost! At the time the car was displayed on the World Exhibition in Montreal the car did not even have a name, that came 3 years later when a much different car went into production, referring to the Montreal exhibit.
I dont actually care that the Maple leaf is used in this context, although a conncetion to the Canadian national symbol is uncorrect, so canadians might not like it!
However the car symbol on the left side could well be upgraded With a small photo or drawing outline of the car model in question!

G.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
What would they do in Montreal in this situation? Go on strike and march in the streets, that's what. Get to it guys!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I admit that when I first saw it, I thought that the maple leaf symbol was an unusual choice for the Montreal forum.

However, as a Canadian, Montrealer and Montreal driver, I was not the least bit put off by the use of our national symbol in this context. The cars shown at Expo '67 were a special commission from the organizers and were actually remarkably similar to the design which was finally produced. Yes, I know that the display cars had 1600s and that the interiors were completely different, but the overwhelming majority of the originally Ghandini design, including pretty well all of its signature details, made it to the production car.

Moreover, my understanding is that Alfa never intended to produce the car, and the decision to put it in production was based largely on the unexpected and overwhelmingly positive reaction the car garnered here at Expo.

Canadians cannot claim a lot of unique Alfa Romeo connections, but the genesis of the Montreal is one of the very few we can. I'm quite o.k. with using the Maple Leaf as the forum symbol, as odd as it may at first seem.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I've always wondered how many Alfa Montreals live in Montreal Canada. Well there's one at least! The symbol is not an insult at all. Be proud Canada! Your country inspired this car to be produced, by your excellent job your country did by hosting this worldly event. Wish I was there. I was only 6. There is one sitting less than 100 miles away from the city.
OH Canada!

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
Perhaps a more relevant icon?

$$$$:frown2:$$$$:surprise:$$$$:laugh2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts