Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a manual window crank they want to sell? My driver's side window is starting to show some slippage so I don't want to get caught in the rain the day it fails and before I get to fixing it.

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hi Danny,

Most of the ALFA goodies I have are for GTV6s. But, I was sent a bunch of ALFA parts from Holland, recently. Including several manual window crank handles.

If you could post a foto of the design you are looking for, or send that to me via e-mail... I can see if I can be of help.

Cheers,
Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Peter,

I personally have never seen one. I've tried googling it to no avail. Could you see if anyone of those works with your gtv-6?

Thanks,
Danny

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hi Danny,

As far as I know, all GTV6s that came to the US had electric windows. So, no help there.

If you can take a pic of the one you have on your passenger's side, I can see if I have a match for it. If I have some that look correct, I can send you pics of the front and rear of the handle to confirm.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have a hole in the door with a cap on it in my Alfa gtv-6. Unfortunately I'm out of town at the moment to uncap it. It would make sense that it's the same part.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Maybe when you return you could send me a pic of either of the handles remaining on your car.

Or, perhaps you are looking for the emergency crank that came in the glove box?? Since you have a GTV6, maybe you are not looking for a regular manual crank handle as might have come with Alfetta Coupes. If you need the emergency handle, I won't be of any help... as those are on the endangered species list.

I do have one that is reserved for my own project car. Could send you a pic of that to help your search, tho.

Peter

·
Administrator
18,176 Posts
What do you mean by 'slippage'? If the gears are stripped or the cables loose then the manual crank may not help. I think the manual crank merely turns the motor 'manually'.

If the windows are moving slowly then finding & fixing the electrical problem would fix that. IME, the switches are a weak area. Here's how to open them up to clean the contacts. Window Switch Repair

Another common issue is that the wires flex & break inside the rubber tube between the A pillar and the door. Once there are only a few strands remaining, the resistance goes up and the windows slow way down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Peter,

Yes, the emergency handle is what I need. If you can, please post a photo?

Good point Eric. It may not mean anything if my window motor is stripped. I spoke with APE and they said the most common issue is lubrication for the window. I hear the motor moving but, I have to help the window along by pulling it up with my hand as I press the button. I'll have to look more into it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hi Danny,

It looks like Eric beat me to offering fotos of the emergency crank. Scroll back up a couple of posts. If that doesn't appear on your screen, let me know and I can e-mail you pix of mine. If the gear on the end of the crank were a simpler design... it would be much easier to make one from scratch. Used ones are not easy to find (as they often get misplaced). But as stated above, they do pop up on eBay from time to time. These cranks are fibre-impregnated molded plastic... so may not hold up under constant usage?

If the problem lies in the window motor, I might have some extra motors to offer. Could be one of several things from the switch to the glass jamming in the channels. Or, a combination of several issues. Hope you can solve the problem.

Peter

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Peter

some years ago bought a new crank handle and thought it could also fit in my Montreal ... Wrong...

Part is new and I can offer it to you. If you got one in meantime = anybody can write me by pm.

Incl. shipping to USA with tracking and insurance price total 85 EURO.

Forza Alfa
Hannelore
Germany :balloon:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hi montigirl,

This is Peter. I have one of those emergency crank handles for myself. So, I'm OK there.

It's Danny that was looking for one of those.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
470 Posts
you are right, my mistake to read/reply to fast... but the offer is still availabe :))
vrooom
hannelore

·
Registered
347 Posts
GTV6 window

dannyp,

You might find that removing the original grease in the gearing mechanism does wonder for your weak motor. My passenger window was acting up two weeks ago as the weather became colder. This is what I did:

1. I took the window regulator unit off. This requires removing the door panel, loosening the three nuts that hold the unit to the door, and removing the two screws that hold the window to the cable.

2. Remove the cable from the pulleys. Make sure you don't tangle the cable.

3. Once the entire unit is off, remove the motor, the manual winding gear, and the three bolts that hold the gearing mechanism to the housing.

4. Slide off the cable spooler from the gearing shaft.

5. You can now pry open the gearing unit. Once open, you'll find very sticky white grease packed inside the unit. You need to remove all of it.

6. Once done, reassemble the gearing unit but this time, pack it with lithium grease.

7. Manually wind the cable back on to the spooler. Once done, put a piece of electrical tape on the spooler to keep the cable from unwinding when you put it back in. Fold the end piece together for easy grabbing.

8. Reassemble everything. When you slide in the spooler, the side that is right next to the three mounting bolts will be the one that goes up to the top pulley.

9. Put the unit back, reroute the cable, adjust for tension but don't attach the cable to the window just yet. Remove the electrical tape and manually crank the window mechanism so that the cable moves toward the down direction until it reaches the end. Then attach the window to the cable.

After I've done all these steps, my passenger window operates almost as fast as the other side even in the cold weather.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Great instructions sriswit! Thank you-- that's a job we have planned for the spring on my son's car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts