Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still going through my stash of 164 (collected for years and years) parts and came across this sender for manual trans. The wires were barely holding on right where they enter the top of the sender, actually one was broken off completely. Of course these are getting scarce so I want to save it for somebody to use. I dugout the brown material at the top and found the wires are crimped (only) to the wires inside the sender. No solder there on the crimp ferrules or wires at all. Could explain why these sometimes can become intermittent. I am going to put it back the way it was made and just crimp them back (The engineers must have a reason for why it was made this way, maybe just so the plastic doesn't melt if soldered). What have others here done to replace the brown seal at the top? I was thinking of 5 minute epoxy or Lexel sealant.

Do check on your car that the wires are ZIP TIED to the body of the sender, that way the wires will not be stressed and fatigued by engine movements or repairs around the sender. Of course this can only be done if you have enough extra wire slack. AND remember folks (word of warning!) to never ever remove these manual trans senders by removing the small allen bolt or you WILL drop the plastic gear into the differential and you will have to remove the diff cover to retrieve it. Remove it by the 22mm bottom nut only. Does anybody need a sender? I will sell it for $30 plus shipping. Of course money back if it doesn't function.

I have two (or three actually) complete manual transmissions (with upgrade roller input bearings) as well if anyone needs one and misc manual trans parts.

Happy New Year Y'all! Take care
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
That most likely explains why my speedometer gets squirrelly when the engine warms up.
‘93 164s

Thanks for the info and photos
Doug

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Thanks @ChazzyD for you insightful post. The other weak link in the electrics of the speedo sender is the L17 connector of these wires. Particularly frustrating is the fact you don't have good access to disassembling it to thoroughly clean the contacts and re-bend them if necessary. I had years of intermittent trouble but finally in the end was able to solve the problem. To be able to do the job you have to remove lots of stuff in the way so you can get both hands in there.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought some new crip ferrules since one of the originals looks to be partially split. I have been thinking about what to seal this back up with. The original material seemed to be of the consistency of lightweight body filler and I guess that would probably work as a decent replacement. It was fairly easy to dig out with a sharp knife. I have been think also more about why Veglia did not solder the wires to the short leads out of the top of the sender and maybe they did not want to cause an unsoldering of the connections on the inside as a result that operation, not sure but seems likely. Would have been nice if the wires were just continuous.

I hope if you have a flakey speedo, this info may help you fix yours. Either you will have an issue with the connector wires like pinino had, these crips inside the sealant are intermittent, or your plastic gear in the diff may have gotten chewed up or fell into the differential. I suppose the sender itself could gone bad internally as well or a connector on the instrument gauge cluster needs some Deoxit.
Some ideas on what to check for.

Charles

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, if your speedo is not speed correct you can adjust it on the cluster. I did a post on adjusting the trim pot at one point. The pot is beside the tach, NOT the speedo, IIRC.
Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts