Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas -

Have a 72 GT with a stock 2L and Weber 40's. I brought it over from Italy, so it's an original carbureted car.

Right now, it has a Hardi 13312 electric pump on it (mounted under the airbox where the Filter King would go) but no regulator. The car has been difficult to start and on highway trips, it seems to run the carbs out of fuel.

I'm inclined to go back to a mechanical pump with a Filter King setup (have a new one with the metal bowl), but was curious to hear if anyone had any recommendations.

Was looking for an underhood pic, but I don't have one on Photobucket. Here's an exterior shot instead.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Have you checked the pressure and volume from your pump? Electric pumps work best pushing fuel from the tank and should be mounted near the tank.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the pressure and volume from your pump? Electric pumps work best pushing fuel from the tank and should be mounted near the tank.
I haven't checked the fuel pressure. What are folks using? Just a mechanical gauge mounted inline?

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
The repair manual for older models shows using a mechanical gauge in the line and letting the fuel run into a container to check volume.

·
Premium Member
13,994 Posts
An electric pump should be located close to the tank at a low point.They are much better at pushing than pulling. There is a 1/8" NPT port on my Filter King regulator for a mechanical gauge. 2.5 to 3 psi works best for my carbs with 2.0 needle valves.

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
101/105guy said:
Electric pumps work best pushing fuel from the tank and should be mounted near the tank.
Yes!

Have you checked the pressure and volume from your pump?
At rest, the front-mounted pump might deliver satisfactory pressure & volume. But on the road, especially on a warm day, you might be getting vapor lock in the long line between the tank and pump.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I'll test the fuel pressure this weekend.

As for a replacement, assuming I have a fuel pressure issue (i.e., too high or low with Hardi pump), I'd like to address it now. With a stock 2L, shouldn't a stock mechanical pump + Filter King be sufficient?

Scott

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All - My mechanical pump showed up from Alfaholics. Now I am in need of a fuel pump pushrod. Would anyone have one or know where I can find one for a 2L Nord from 1972? Thanks, Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts