Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to mounting a blanking plate over the hole in my S2 Spider’s dash for its nonexistent radio. After reading an AlfaBB post a few years ago that recommended using a blanking plate for a Jeep, I purchased one and it has been sitting in my glove box ever since.

The size was almost spot on, but a bit of trimming would make for a better fit and look. The challenges were modifying it to fit around the bezels of the two lower indicator lights and mounting it to the dash. Neither should be hard. One of my rules of thumb, though, is “nothing takes just five minutes.” I created this aphorism as a counterpoint to a boss who decades ago regularly proclaimed that he could make some software change in five minutes. Ahem.

The first challenge was to trim away two small bits of plastic. Making the template for those cuts involved taping paper, then cardboard, to the plate, taking it out to the dash for positioning, and making marks for the cuts. My original plan was to use a Dremel, but just before getting out that useful tool I realized that a drill press would provide better control over the cuts. It also provided me with an excuse to use a new metric step bit. Everything worked as planned and although the plate sits atop the bezels for the gauges, the modifications resulted in a better look.

The other challenge was attaching the plate to the dash, one for which Velcro was the solution. Since I didn’t want to remove the pins from the back of the plate, I cut four Velcro pieces for it. Then two more pieces for the dash. Of course, holes then had to be poked in those dash pieces to accommodate the mounting pins.

My vanilla plate elicited a suggestion from an Alfa buddy: it would look better with an emblem. (For the record, I had originally considered adding an emblem, but let that task slide.) His comment spurred me to find a Pininfarina emblem. Surprise! Pininfarina emblem prices are all over the place, with one even offered at $250! Ultimately, I chose a genuine Hyundai part for under $10. Hyundai!?! Pininfarina designed Hyundai’s Lavita/Matrix. I cut off the “Disegno” portion with a Dremel and centered the remaining script on the plate. Yep, it looks better now.

Total cost: ~$25
Time required: ~1.5 hours (which includes the time need to locate scissors, drill bit, set up drill press, get Dremel out and attach cutting disk, etc.)

20191001_091314 copy.jpg Pininfarina Blanking Plate 20191015_173021 copy.jpg

·
Registered
5,287 Posts

is what I used, and a 164 LS Pininfarina emblem (front fender). Looks very nice -- its on this forum somewhere I think!

PS your blanking plate also looks great!!!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Nice to share it. Thanks .. now about that crack......I'm thinking of dabbing a fill with "Flex-seal" as an experiment with some artist touch to masking . Might work and can't be too wrong could it? I'll know it is filled but better than a gap.. maybe?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, about that crack--it's one of many. I bought an un-cracked dash a few years ago with the goal of replacing my dash, but it's still sitting in the garage rafters.

I recently bought a dash cover from Coverking via Costo as a stopgap, though it might become the permanent solution. Looking at the dash cover is far more tolerable than the cracks!

FYI I saw an interesting solution on the recent Wheeler Dealers' Fiat 124 Spider episode. Mike Brewer found an upholstery guy who filled the cracks and then covered the entire dash with black vinyl. Result looked pretty good and the cost was not bad.

See Dan Miller's Upholstery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI I saw an interesting solution on the recent Wheeler Dealers' Fiat 124 Spider episode. Mike Brewer found an upholstery guy who filled the cracks and then covered the entire dash with black vinyl. Result looked pretty good and the cost was not bad.
I saw that episode as well. It was interesting idea. I enjoy the show, but hate how they don't actually make any money when you consider Ant's time calculated in.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Dash solutions involving dash removal just isn't in my plan and I don't like the caps so I think back filling might not be as bad as it sounds .. Caps to me are just another form of a "Band-Aid".. Just my perspective. My car isn't going to win t any prizes so I'll see how my experiments go. I usually have good enough results with experimentation of different materials and yes it will be a patch but no worse than a gaping crack is my attitude.. I might solicit a few sections of toss-away dashes to experiment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts