Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I agree that when you sell something that the buyer should send a PM for further information but, I do not believe that you need to say where the parts are located. I live in Los Angeles but, the parts may be in another part of the US.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Why would a person who is selling something NOT WANT a potential buyer to know the part's location?

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
When something is posted for sale or in search of...if it isn't listed in the sidebar where they are, then the inevitable question follows: "Where are you?" Then you wait for the response.

I might want to sell an automatic transmission that weighs a 100 lbs. I would post where I live and let a potential buyer decide if they want to come to get it or pay the going rate for freight to Tim-buk-tu.

It really comes down to being transparent enough to post the location of cars and parts just as a courtesy to the BB members.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When something is posted for sale or in search of...if it isn't listed in the sidebar where they are, then the inevitable question follows: "Where are you?" Then you wait for the response.

I might want to sell an automatic transmission that weighs a 100 lbs. I would post where I live and let a potential buyer decide if they want to come to get it or pay the going rate for freight to Tim-buk-tu.

It really comes down to being transparent enough to post the location of cars and parts just as a courtesy to the BB members.
Courtesy? how about good common sense?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Courtesy? how about good common sense?
A few examples how other forums do it:

Simple rules to understand before posting.

First and foremost, no warnings. We will now delete your post if you break a rule. You will receive no pm. If you can't find your ad you need to check back here to figure out why.

1: It is required to have a 25 post count to post a for sale ad. If post count is not 25 the ad will be removed and a pm will be sent. Please don't be a **** if you get a pm. We are just doing our job.

2: Please post a price, location, try to give as much info as you can, and try to get pics up. Pics help anything sell. People on the app can't see price or location in the heading. So post it in the ad.

3: You can link to YOUR craigslist ad only, or link to a build thread you have posted here. It is HIGHLY suggested you also do what's listed in rule #2, however.

4: no bumping, tt'ing, etc.

5: If not interested move on. No need to give negative input.

6: If a mod gives you advice on your ad, either take it positively or take it with a grain of salt. They're just trying to help.

7: If it sold..... post that its sold! Or, mark for deletion by the mods.

Next one:

Classifieds
The For Sale and Wanted sections are for club members and require a minimum of ten legitimate posts across the site to use. 10 "nice truck!" posts don't count.
Name a price for your item if you're selling something. Guess on a price if you have to. This is to promote openness and to keep weasels from playing members against each other. If you're parting out a whole truck, you don't need to list every little thing, but you must list prices for the larger items.
State where in the world the item is. Put it in the title non-compliance = your ad gets deleted!
When the item sells, put "SOLD!" in the title.
ZIP Codes can go in the description if needed.
Be nice to each other. :cheers: (and that includes no publicly denouncing someone's price. If you want to inform them that their price is too high, please do it in a PM.)
Recommendations:

Write a descriptive title.
Have lots of pictures (come on now, no whining. Digi-cameras are dirt cheap these days and host sites like facebook, picturetrail.com or photobucket.com are free).
Take a decent picture. Prop the camera on something to steady it if indoors, keep the sun at your back if outdoors. Don't be afraid to get closer to the item so it fills the frame better.
It would be really nice if the buyer and seller could add a short post after the conclusion of the transaction telling others if it was good or bad.
It would also be nice if everyone added a post saying "PM sent" to the thread so as to reduce the chance that some one can swindle a higher price.
If there is ever a dispute, try to iron it out politely and have some patience (remember that not everyone on the planet has access to the internet every day). If there is still a problem, let me know in a PM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"1: It is required to have a 25 post count to post a for sale ad. If post count is not 25 the ad will be removed and a pm will be sent. Please don't be a **** if you get a pm. We are just doing our job."

What is this nonsense... If I had an incredible Alfa for sale and I wasn't a regular poster, but wanted to list it on this site because I knew there were a few real Alfists on the site, but no I can't post a classified because I don't have enough posts.... sounds pretty ridiculous..

And as far as listing my location, I have no problem with that, I've got nothing to hide... I don't even see that in my settings and I'm not going to spend hours trying to figure it out... I probably don't have enough posts yet to have that ability to post my location... hilarious.... the sad part is that it is probably true!

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
This is NOT current BB policy. This is a member suggestion to avoid problems with sellers that attempt to rip-off BB members. Check the "stickies" on the wanted and for sale threads.
This thread deals with "member-location" so buyers and sellers might know where the part they need is located.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
"1: It is required to have a 25 post count to post a for sale ad. If post count is not 25 the ad will be removed and a pm will be sent. Please don't be a **** if you get a pm. We are just doing our job."

What is this nonsense... If I had an incredible Alfa for sale and I wasn't a regular poster, but wanted to list it on this site because I knew there were a few real Alfists on the site, but no I can't post a classified because I don't have enough posts.... sounds pretty ridiculous..

And as far as listing my location, I have no problem with that, I've got nothing to hide... I don't even see that in my settings and I'm not going to spend hours trying to figure it out... I probably don't have enough posts yet to have that ability to post my location... hilarious.... the sad part is that it is probably true!
I HIGHLIGHTED IN LARGER FONT the point I wanted to make using 2 examples of other car forums. I think the post count is a crappy deal on the forums I took those clips from. I much prefer the no post count required rule on BB.

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
I have checked with the Autoguide support staff and asked about making a custom template specifically for the Classified section. The template would have some required fields, one of which is location.

The answer was that it could not be done.

So, there is no way to make someone post their location. We can suggest it all day long, but we can't force someone.

If we make a sticky and post it in every forum in the Classified section, there is still no way to guarantee someone will post their location.

If one of you folks wants to police the Classified section and ask folks to post their location, please feel free to do so. But, please, be nice about it.

Thank you all for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How about this?

Thanks for your post.

In order for you to gain the maximum benefit in selling what you have, or finding what you're looking for, please post your location.

Remember: The Alfa Bulletin Board is used and enjoyed by members and enthusiasts worldwide.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Other side of what state?

I know Velocedoc posts a lot and I suspect many people know him, but I don't usually post on the same Topic as he does, and I would think that "the other side of the state" is TOTALLY MEANINGLESS unless it is on the other side of the state of sanity. However, I ask him to please forgive me for the comment. He seems a very valuable poster, but maybe he posts only on 105 spiders?

Now I will look if Bellevue refers only to the New York City Mental Hospital for some people and will change mine to show I mean the Bellevue near Seattle. I suspect there is a Bellevue in almost ever state.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I know Velocedoc posts a lot and I suspect many people know him, but I don't usually post on the same Topic as he does, and I would think that "the other side of the state" is TOTALLY MEANINGLESS unless it is on the other side of the state of sanity. However, I ask him to please forgive me for the comment. He seems a very valuable poster, but maybe he posts only on 105 spiders?

Now I will look if Bellevue refers only to the New York City Mental Hospital for some people and will change mine to show I mean the Bellevue near Seattle. I suspect there is a Bellevue in almost ever state.
Christopher, (Velocedoc) you are sooooo busted!!!

Not for living in a mental institution, but for not giving your location.......

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are from Bellevue... you only need 5 posts to be able to show your location or post a video... Excellent

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
LMFAO... YES that is it... the big FN Lebowski!! 1 post for special eastern Europeans...
So, where are you?

A few of us have been brainstorming this "location" issue, ya know....

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
On a serious note, I do not understand why this site cannot make it mandatory when an item is posted in the classifieds that the approximate location (state, county, province, etc...) within a country is not required... Ebay and evey other site I am aware that is the norm.... I agree, that should be a rule that could be enforced...but the 5, 10, 25 post requirements is total BS to be able to post a classified...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pennsylvania... or is it Transylvania.... how about Bellevue Transylvania... I couldn't respond quicker... this site has a 3 minute Big Lebowski time limit between posts... now that is Hilarious!!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts