Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There should be a box like most websites have that must be filled in before a member can build a profile and post... THE LOCATION of the POSTER! ..at least his country or in the case of the US and Canada, state or province. It really comes into play especially in the For Sale/Wanted forums and is constantly left blank creating unnecessary "Where are you?" questions.

·
9,924 Posts
A great idea, but better discussed in the "AlfaBB Staff to AutoGuide Forum Support" section. Posts there are read by the people who own and operate the Alfa BB. What you are proposing would require some programming changes to the software behind the BB.

·
Registered
656 Posts
couldn't agree more. i'm in Australia and it seems most posters of items for sale just assume you know where they are, or just assume that everyone is in the states. this is an international community.

cheers ian

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
Them by Country, Continent or exactly how close? Some specific address information may create privacy issues.
Opinions?

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Them by Country, Continent or exactly how close? Some specific address information may create privacy issues.
Opinions?
95% of the people who leave it off don't even realize it.. I don't know of anyone who has placed an ad without a location who refused to fess up to the question of where he is when asked for it. E-bay and Craiglist would be totally useless without it and there are no hold harmless clauses with them. Aren't you making something into nothing with even the notion it could go to litigation, Gordo?

·
Administrator
16,362 Posts
Personal opinion (not speaking as a moderator), it would be a good idea for everyone to include their location. But rather than making it mandatory, why not just make a polite reply reminding folks of that?

Which reminds me, why do folks obscure their license plates when selling a car? Can't everybody see it while you're driving around?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I have a little more positive take on this. If someone doesn't want me to know where they are or who they are then I take that as an omen and maybe I don't want to do business with them or bother to help them. That is a positive isn't it?

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have a little more positive take on this. If someone doesn't want me to know where they are or who they are then I take that as an omen and maybe I don't want to do business with them or bother to help them. That is a positive isn't it?

Ciao

Ken
Not really.. in brotherhood, Ken.. it is wasting bytes on the site and your and my frigging time.. Put mildly .. Save the planet and Alfa BB so they can uses less cyberspace on their COM--puter server by economizing BS. But lets just stretch the Global warming thing to infinity.. no leave it alone. This included. I am amazed it took This long to bring it to the BofD's attention.. Onward and upward. My wife is a Weight watcher greeter who is grinding on crap like this for $7000/year.. when she comes home. I gave her the white flag ...Life is very short for dealing with a bureaucracy.. I quit that 19 years ago.. lets get real. UNCLE ... I feel like Luke ( Cool Hand) getting his baseball glove tossed to him on the way to the HOLE. I'll be back!!! UNCLE

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
Many of us don't care if others know we are from Illinois, Massachusetts, Arizona, Alaska, or even Canada, South America, Italy or wherever. Others, don't really want anyone to know they live on the North Pole or the moon, possibly other planets or maybe in just a different universe. Should we respect the privacy of those that don't want to share they might live somewhere odd, or private? (Area 51 comes to mind.)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Pretty sure I just saw a 164 for sale in Connecticut, with an inquiry from Denmark. Equally as puzzling.

I suppose the more business conducted on here, the more important/convenient that information becomes.

Might turn off a lot of people by making it mandatory though.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
very productive.. I got it.. it's clear to me there is no use suggesting something so obviously positive taken as a negative to this group.. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this was controversial ...Sad. It's not a surprise we have more "lurkers' than contributors. Who would think it? Poster noted... Thank you.. that made my day.......

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I'm curious as to where a BB member lives.
It is a courtesy to include it.
Even if it is something like "southern Iowa".
Or, Charley's Ankle, Saskatchewan.

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
I am amazed it took This long to bring it to the BofD's attention..
You are assuming that the moderators aren't reading your posts. We are reading them and we have discussed what you posted.

Remember the proverb that goes something like, "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar"? Posting something like this is more vinegar than honey.

I would expect Moderators to play a role other than moderation of language and whatever else they moderate.
It irks me to no end to not know where something is located when something is advertised for sale. Every person that joins the AlfaBB has the right not to share their location, publicly. Most don't post their name in their signature. I consider it a right to privacy thing.

very productive.. I got it.. it's clear to me there is no use suggesting something so obviously positive taken as a negative to this group.. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this was controversial ...Sad. It's not a surprise we have more "lurkers' than contributors. Who would think it? Poster noted... Thank you.. that made my day.......
I personally feel that your suggestion is an excellent one. I speak for all of the moderators when I say thank you for the suggestion.

There is no controversy, here. I did not see any replies that would be considered negative. We cannot force someone to list their location. If the field is made mandatory, how are we to know that the person will be honest about their location.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Okay, here's a compromise...

How about only in for sale/wanted it's mandatory?

As it should be. I don't wanna click on an ad to find out what I want is in outer Mongolia.
Save me the hassle.

And if I'm posting a wanted ad, don't make the guy from somewhere around the globe click on it unless he really wants to. Many people don't care to do things internationally.

If you're buying/selling on BB,you're gonna identify yourself to complete the transaction, right?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mandatory is too harsh.Encouragement is fine.
Even if one's location is vague such as "Northern Europe".
How about mandatory vague then?

Once again, if they're gonna be completing a sale, REAL details will have to be known at some point, right?

So, why all this secret squirrel stuff in the beginning?

Try listing something on ebay or craigslist with no location....

Most forums require a minimum of 10 constructive posts before a person can list things for sale. BB doesn't have that. That's cool.

But you can't PM on BB til you do. Ain't that a pisser.

The Classifieds need some tweaking. No doubt. It's not fair that existing members/contributors must continually ask for location!!

Where else in the world can you offer stuff for sale at a profit and remain in secret squirrel status?

We at least need something more defining than "planet earth" to see if we're interested in dealing with someone.
We're not asking for race, religion, color, sexual preference. Just their frickin location!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts