Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally getting around to doing some major work I have been collecting for quite a while now. Photo shows start of the put back together. Rebuilt starter, new motor mounts, polished cam cover, rebuilt injectors by Cruzin Performance, new thermostate/housing, all new hardware (and stainless if I can locate such), new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires; you get the picture. Farmed out some more metal bits for chrome plating at the local shop. Total job will end up taking 2 weeks working part time when the sun is just up or going down. 99 degree days just too hot to work on it full time.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Cam cover looks great, Robert. Keep up the documentation. I learn something new from every series of photos and write-ups on these projects.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
( my good friend in Memphis confirms your heat / humidity...must be miserable ! )

Bet you will be glad to be back on the road in a Spider once more...been a long time since the great flood took your last one.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris,
Who is your good friend in Memphis? Alfistia perhaps? Yes it is miseable here right now. Just 3 weeks ago the Mississippi River nearly drove us out of the local Coast Guard base here. Now the river is falling greatly every day and we are wishing for some rain. I have had the top down on the Alfa for 2 weeks due to no rain at all!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
How did the Memphis Belle fair in al of this? I used to see it parked out by the Peabody Museum rotting away when I was a kid.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Belle had an interesting and checkered history here in Memphis. It went through periods of neglect, then was actively restored and great attention was paid in locating correct vintage parts for these restorations. The last restoration saw it get new plexaglass, stripped and repainted in correct markings, and a complete set of vintage but deactivated 50 cal. machine guns and aviation equipment. The City built a pavalion on Mud Island and it was displayed there under cover for many years. Finally it became the subject of disputes between the Memphis Belle Association, the City, and the Air Force.
After being wrangled over for several years the Air Firce stepped in and asserted its basic right to claim ownership as US property. They carried it to Ohio and it was being restored again for display at the Wright Patterson Museum. That is the last I heard on the subject.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
That is bs, the aircraft belongs in Memphis but then again it might not be there if it was still on mud island, I guess, don't quote me on that but thanks for the update. I know there was huge effort to rescue her and put her on display on the island.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The latest flooding would not have disturbed the Belle at all. The water never got THAT high. However, if we ever get the predicted Great New Madrid earthquake in a magnitude of the 1811 quake, Mud Island may disolve back into the Mississippi River due to liquifaction. The island is essentailly a reinforced sand bar and as such is highly suceptiable to liquifaction in the event of a major quake.

Robert

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Robert, my dear friend of 30+ years works at U of M, in the library...sadly, no Alfa in her garage - she runs a Camry !!

Your engine bay looks very tidy...I'm liking the polished cam cover.

Oh, and I found the discussion of the Belle interesting as well...thanks !

Keep cool...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts