Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody.

I could use some sagely advice/tips

My 84 spider has been a real piece of work this week. I found out that my in track fuel pump was toast, so I ordered a new one, before it arrived though, my main pump overheated... Thank goodness for AAA. (Fortunately it was already planning a visit to my mechanic for a new head gasket and fuel injectors...)

Anyway. The new in tank pump has been installed. I'm replacing the rusty tank as soon as the new one arrives (seems simple enough?), and I'm now waiting on a main fuel pump and filter.

Here's where you come in. I'd like to believe that the filter and pump are a simple remove and replace job. I looked it up at the attached link to be sure, and it says to start the car and then take out the fuse while running to relieve the pressure... is that right/safe? I don't want to fry some component I didn't know I could damage.

It also says I will need new fuel filter washers... erm... Okay, anybody know what type of material and size I should get before I take important bits of my carriage to auto zone?

I purchased the fuel vapor hose kit from hi-performance as a precaution... Seemed like a wise choice. (Just installed they're oil vapor and silicone vacuum hose kits last week too)

Finally... The tank. That is a simple, drain, remove, and replace, right? No seals or gaskets to replace right? (just did the sending unit gasket)

Thanks everyone, I seriously love this car, despite the $2,000 headache this month. I'd like to be more hands on with it, hence the these things myself.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/fixityourself/ss/fuel_pump_repl.htm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
erm, that was supposed to say in tank fuel pump, not in track. The fuel pump just arrived... It says to pull the fuse and then try to start the car, that seems safer.

I'll try to take pictures as I do this for others to look at in the future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As promised, here are the pictures I took. First is the area under the parcel shelf. Then a close up of the detached in line fuse. After that is the pump (right) and filter (left) . Detached filter with old pump still in place (from rear). Then the new filter. Then the new pump. This was a pretty easy job... The gas still did leak a bit from the hoses, so be ready to catch it with something. I also took this opportunity to clean up the electrical contacts and cover with dielectric grease after they were tightened in place.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts