Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mixed set of NOS bearings, liberally covered in very ancient grease, which I am having a hard time to identify and I hope someone can help.

The packet was marked with the part number 106.00.02.112.00, and the bearings themselves are marked:

- 4497 (30.6mm width, grooved, two oil holes)
- 4498 (26.8mm width, grooved, two oil holes)

There is also a factory marking of a 'P' overlaid with a 'V' (or vice versa). I have yet to put the micrometer on them to test the bearing thickness.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
10,464 Posts
I'm guessing it is a set of standard main bearings for a 2600. 106 00 02 112 00 refers to the front, center, and rear bearings in standard diameter. 106 00 02 111 00 would be the "intermediate" bearings for the same engine. A full set would have 3 pairs of the 112, and 4 pairs of the 111 for a full set for a 7-bearing engine. Your quantity doesn't really match the right total number. I'm not a 2600 guy, so can't help you ID which is which, but Alfa used to sell bearings by the pair rather than the set, so you could have a random quantity rather than an exact set.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
I agree with Don that the number on the bag does not match some or all of its contents.

I also agree that 112 would be for bearings #1, 4 and 7, and #111 for bearings #2, 3, 5 and 6 as show in the parts catalog pages below (which, given the quantities listed, also indicates that the number is for a half shell, and each half shell is counted separately).

So, it seems to be best to trace them back to the manufacturer, but I have no idea who "VP" or "PV" is and what the numbers 4497 and 4498 mean.

Still, if you want to sell them at a symbolic price, I'd be interested to put them on my shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lee,

Excellent tip, thank you. I have emailed them for further details as their website is rather sparse on such details. I might see if they can give me some ID numbers for other Alfa engines for which they used to make bearings, just for general interest.

Alex.

·
Push hard and live
10,464 Posts
Ruedi,

When I made my comment about the part number indicating one "pair" of bearing shells, it was based upon the early version of the parts book, copied below. You'll note the quantity per car is half of what your parts book indicates. Alfa is remarkably consistent in their inconsistency, but by comparison to the English car manufacturers of the same era, they were positively regimented.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
Ruedi,

When I made my comment upon the part number indicating one "pair" of bearing shells, it was based upon the early version of the parts book, copied below. You'll note the quantity per car is half of what your parts book indicates. Alfa is remarkably consistent in their inconsistency, but by comparison to the English car manufacturers of the same era, they were positively regimented.
Interesting. I never noticed this difference between the early and later version of the parts manual.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
VP sets not done same as ALFA

In the early days we ordered Vandervell by full sets, especially in two liter versions where the first 435 motors had wide main bearings on lst, 3rd and rear mains, and narrow on 2 and 4. Those after 436 had wide main only on 1st and 3d with all others narrow. Vanderwell provided sets -- all five bearings -- by either of two different numbers dependent upon on engine number.

Alfa, however, sold individual pairs of shells as in ALFA parts book. I often wondered if it would be wrong to turn what was usually only a single bad journal instead of doing all of them. I especially remember wanting to do that when one time the rear main went bad less than 500 miles after a rebuild because the galley plug came out and the rear main was running dry. Can't see how that would have been a problem -- using the other four and replacing only the rear main -- but was talked out of it by the machinist.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got this email from Mahle:

Hi Alex,

The old drawings tell me they were the main bearings for an Alfa Romeo 106 engine. The drawings are dated 6/2/61.

Kind regards

MAHLE Engine Systems UK Ltd.
Riccarton, Kilmarnock KA1 3NA Ayrshire, Great Britain
I'll email again tomorrow to find out if these are standard or oversize, and if they have any other bearings listed in the catalogues.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Rod Bearings (and Mains on TWO LITER, etc.)

Franco, see the full response on other thread "Vandervell Bearing Numbers"

the specific vandervell number from the two liter ROD BEARING is VP 1859. The "VP" is in a circle and might be a trademark. These rod bearings came, according to the Alfa parts books, in standard, 010 and 020 (Okt parts in Munich seems to also have had 030). The number for these in the 1900 parts book (individual sets of shells -- order four sets) is 1306.16.039 (Std, M1, and M2), and in the 102 parts books (order four) is 1306.16.006 (Std, M1, and M2.

WIDE MAIN BEARINGS for the 1900 model or the cast iron two liter are clearly marked on the back: VP 84L, which corresponds to the 1900 parts book #1306.10.203 (Std, M1and M2) and the two liter parts book # 1306.10.072 (Std, M1and M2). NARROW MAIN BEARING clearly show VP 81L, which corresponds to the 1900 parts book #1306.10.204 (Std, M1 and M2) and the two liter parts book # 1306.10.071 (again Std, M1 and M2). [Yes, I did realize that the sequence of the numbers is odd. On 1900 the wide bearings have a smaller number; the narrow ones larger. On Two Liter the wide bearing have the larger number; the narrow ones smaller. - Go Figure!]

On the back of the Vandervell bearing the numbers are crisp and sharp and they carefully show the .010 etc on variations. I have always kept my old shells in case I have to re-surface one or more, since it was so hard to find them. There is a shop here in Seattle that has been able to do that with a specialized device they created for that purpose.

In short: Rod bearing for all (including 2600): VP 1859
Wide main for 1900 and two ltr: VP 84L
Narrow main for 1900 and two ltr: VP 81L

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sorry, I guess I should follow up!

Franco. I did get a response, but I guess I should have (and now have) followed up with sending the VP numbers to Allan Graham. See the email correspondence back in June. Sorry, all you Alfa people, I am getting old and don't seem to follow up on things the way I once did. Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Doggone, I did try to follow up!!!

franco and fellow Alfa lovers:
By now you know I like to sent out lots of words. I do not TWEET. Of that I am sure. I suspect I could not. However, on the very day, June 8, 2011, that I got the response from Allen Graham, I wrote him a long information sheet.

And probably, I confess, it was just too darned long to read all the way through. Sorry about that. But let's a lot of us send him requests for bearings and see what we can do. Send to [email protected]

I never got a response. And, I guess I can't blame him. As they say: "The ideas of this writer are like two grains of wheat hidden in a bushel of chaff. You search all day before you find them, and then when you find them they weren't worth the looking." Sorry.

But the information is good. Jay

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts