Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I repeat the following post which I made in 164 Forum.

My car is a 164 4-cylinder Twin Spark. It is in a middle of an engine overhaul. A few of the cylinder head studs are pitted due to corrosion. The workshop tried to take out the studs but it was not possible. So it was decided to get another engine block.

Bought a used engine block from Europe. The second main bearing housing was previously repaired. I was not informed by the seller during the correspondence. It is also missing a slot for the main bearing. Is the repair seen in the photo acceptable? Is it good enough to withstand the load and vibration of the engine?

The locating lug is only for ease of installation. Thinking of grinding off the locating lug on the main bearing in order for it to fit into the housing
Mahle weblink

Light Automotive tire Gas Font Rim

Automotive tire Rim Font Gas Tool

Thank you for your attention.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Is the repaired bearing at the same center as the others? I think they will call this process line bored. Anyway, you should have it measured.
Are you able to get bearings without the locating lug? If you're grinding them away, I would check that circularity is maintained in the final result. Low spots are not as bad as high spots.

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
I would like to see the original block's pitted head studs as I would probably use that block instead of this repaired one.

Why?, because for a block to need that sort of repair it has experienced something very nasty and extreme. Why take the risk, considering they haven't even fixed it properly as missing the bearing shell notch. BTW: If you do use this repaired block, don't grind the bearing shells to remove the locating lug, but simply use a dremel and create the locating notch in the block.

Also on second look at that repaired block the repair is not even square with the block => I think it is either needs to be trashed or repaired properly. If you can return for a refund, that is what I would do
Pete

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to see the original block's pitted head studs as I would probably use that block instead of this repaired one.

Why?, because for a block to need that sort of repair it has experienced something very nasty and extreme. Why take the risk, considering they haven't even fixed it properly as missing the bearing shell notch. BTW: If you do use this repaired block, don't grind the bearing shells to remove the locating lug, but simply use a dremel and create the locating notch in the block.

Also on second look at that repaired block the repair is not even square with the block => I think it is either needs to be trashed or repaired properly. If you can return for a refund, that is what I would do
Pete
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

On 4 of the studs, at the bottom before it goes into the block it is no longer round. Small pieces of it have come off.

The photo does not show it but the repair insert sits correctly on the housing. Camera optics/distortion. For example, the highlighted part does not look straight in the photo but it is actually straight.

·
Premium Member
7,517 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,517 Posts
You guys are way off base.. he's looking for advice on the index mark for the bearing shell that is not there
He also asked if the repair of the main journal was acceptable.

Reactions: becko

·
Registered
1980 Eurospec S2 Spider
119 Posts
Did the seller ship the block to you in the condition shown in your first photo? If he did not inform you beforehand of this state of the second main, maybe you could tell us who the seller was so that we all can avoid him in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts