Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this idea. A magnetic bra that goes in the nose of a spider from headlamp to headlamp, made from sheet magnet material. Like a refrigerator magnet but bigger and cut to fit the nose.
see link below for source of sheet magnet material.

http://new.custom-magnets.com/product_info.php?products_id=1661&cPath=2_47

sure a Bra that is simply stuck on will make a tempting target for a thief (who incidentally has a spider). I'm sure that a magnet this size would stay during driving.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Seems viable, and certainly wouldn't flap around beating the crap out of your paint at the edges.

I wonder if it could take the fold over the front lip of the nose where it transitions form the roundy bit to the part above thbumper though?

Conversely, if you stopped at that edge instead of trying to bend it, would wind whip under the leading edge and peel it off? (or worse yet, roll up just enough to trap grit where it can start grinding away things)

Still, in general it seems like it would be better than the cloth jobs if one really felt the need for a bra and the price puts it around that which a good quality one would cost.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I purchased one from Magnetbra.com on Ebay for my Mazda 5 (not Miata).
It came precision cut for a perfect fit and included an exact measure length
of plastic "U-bead" to secure the edges of the bra to the leading edges of the hood so that it doesn't lift in the wind and is not easily removed (stolen) with the hood closed. It went on easily, when parked in the sun the magnet sheet softened and took the shape of the hood contours. It looks neutral on my car with its Carbon gray paint. They suggest removing it once in a while to clean any dirt or moisture that may have worked its way under the sheet.
NOW the bad news.....they do not list Alfa Romeo in their product line.
You will find their web site informative even if you are going the DIY route with bulk magnet sheets.

P.S. this is my first post after a couple years of sitting back and watching the
other Alfisti tell all. This BB rocks.

Cheers
George

·
Registered
20 Posts
Conventional Bra

I used a conventional bra driving back and forth to Detroit (from VA--550 miles each way)--was not pleased. Lots of flapping. I think they do more harm than good--will not use again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Before I put a magnetic bra on my Alfa I would go find a couple of real estate agents with the magnetic door signs and check out the paint damage underneath the magnets. My experience with magnetic signs has not been good even if you clean the dust off regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ths morning I sprayed a bra on my Spider.The car is black ,and Griot's garage sells a rattle can that applies a black rubber-like coating that they say will peel off in one piece.My Alfa is my daily driver and the panel in front of the hood takes a lot of hits.Now all I need is a gravel truck to drive behind for a test.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Ths morning I sprayed a bra on my Spider.The car is black ,and Griot's garage sells a rattle can that applies a black rubber-like coating that they say will peel off in one piece.My Alfa is my daily driver and the panel in front of the hood takes a lot of hits.Now all I need is a gravel truck to drive behind for a test.
Nervosa, like morning glories? Like Ergine?...I think I may be on to you!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What do you think of this idea. A magnetic bra that goes in the nose of a spider from headlamp to headlamp, made from sheet magnet material. Like a refrigerator magnet but bigger and cut to fit the nose.
see link below for source of sheet magnet material.

http://new.custom-magnets.com/product_info.php?products_id=1661&cPath=2_47

sure a Bra that is simply stuck on will make a tempting target for a thief (who incidentally has a spider). I'm sure that a magnet this size would stay during driving.
Does 3m or someone make a clear film for exactly this purpose? Regardless, I think these solutions tend to be problematic in the long run. I just try to stay far behind other cars until I can pass.

·
Registered
520 Posts
so i ordered the bra from IAP just now. and just to report. the bra looks different than any of the photos i have seen prior. it also doesnt have any branding or marquee on it. (which i liked and was suprised by)

anyways, it also didnt flap at all at 80mph and fit really well.

i think perhaps they have acquired a new and better maunufacturer of that bra.

i need it to hide a dent in the nose until i can afford a full fix and paintjob.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts