Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for the install, all parts arrived today:) Still having ignition problems though, so that needs to be dealt with first:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
so this is a replacement for the first or second muffler?

or is that a cat?

will you be welding? or does one even need to weld anymore with couplers?

exhaust is such a seemingly simple procedure to install that i always feel stupid for paying someone to do it (custom maybe...but not oem)

isnt your ignition just suffering compatibility problems with your ECU? that motronic system isnt just a ignition system. its an engine-management system as well. slapping on an MSD electronic ignition module is a nice attempt if you can afford it, but i would say its not working....go back to bosch distributor / coil as it was designed. wouldnt that be the solution for ya?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still no end in sight for the repair of the ignition system, nothing seems to be wrong, plugs are in top shape, rotor button new, cap new, coil new, plugs new, Crank sensor cleaned and readjusted to spec, distributor torn apart, cleaned, reassembled, nothing wrong there, problem must be in the wiring or the ECU is the only conclusion I can come up with.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so this is a replacement for the first or second muffler?

or is that a cat?

will you be welding? or does one even need to weld anymore with couplers?

exhaust is such a seemingly simple procedure to install that i always feel stupid for paying someone to do it (custom maybe...but not oem)

isnt your ignition just suffering compatibility problems with your ECU? that motronic system isnt just a ignition system. its an engine-management system as well. slapping on an MSD electronic ignition module is a nice attempt if you can afford it, but i would say its not working....go back to bosch distributor / coil as it was designed. wouldnt that be the solution for ya?
This will be a custom muffler install for the original muffler that is dead. It is nearly impossible to weld stainless to regular steel, they are not like metals. Still could be done, but hard, no I'm clamping her down. The pipe going from the tail pipe to the muffler broke its weld on the original mufflers casing, allowing the tail pipe to swing about while making a horrible noise.
MSD coil to replace the original coil, which has helped me regain 750RPMs in 5th gear (3500RPM with the bosch, 4250RPM with the MSD coil). So I know I'm on track, question would be, what killed the original coil? Whatever did is still there, slowly killing the MSD. I'm wondering if my ECU is frying the poor thing some how...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sweet jacket ....
Thank you for not calling the fashion police...Anyways, muffler install is set to happen on Wednesday, meantime, I'm still working on the bugs in the ignition, who can help? See below list for further info, BTW, adjusting the linkage to the throttle didn't help the problem, but my dead spot that I had before (felt like engine running lean) has gone, so apparantly the TPS is now reading full open like it should:) Pic added: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=13167915

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts