Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 83 CA GTV6 will have to undergo a smog test once it is out of the paint shop(bare metal red pray). Since the cat is the original cat I would not be surprised if it is time replace it. The car is a CA spec 83 that I bought new in June 83. I live in Utah (a free state!) now. The question is will a 49 state Magnaflow front exhaust w/cat fit or do I need a CA be required? I suspect a 49 State will be fine. Terry

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
They state on Centerline that their cat is 50 state legal and I was planning on getting it for my car over the summer. I live in Northern California so have become quite accustomed to the strict regulations.
https://centerlinealfa.com/exhaust/1510
When we developed this system with Magnaflow we made the decision (based on the small size of the market) to only offer one version of this system which could be sold in all 50 states - hence a California compliant cat on every one we sell.

I can't speak to versions of this system which have since been sold or marketed by others.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
TerryJ, are you looking at buying an older new stock 49 state version? Or are you buying it right now from Magnaflow? If it's a new old stock (49 stater) like off Ebay it won't work. All California smog shops are required to check C.A.R.B. compliance #'s stamped on the cats and keep manufacturer paper work for 5 years.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not buying it tight now. Car is still being painted (been in the shop for 6 months) just researching. I live in Utah so the CARB crap does not effect me. I should get the car back in a few weeks and then it will be another month after that before I every thing back on. What I am curious about was the CA version of 1983 have a front exhaust system that is not compatable with the 49 state front. I know that the middle and rear are the same for all states as I have replaced those (from Centerline). Just curious why the 50 state one is so much more expensive than Magnaflows 49 state. Still leaning toward Centerline as I like them though. Wonder if there is a performance different.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
Just curious why the 50 state one is so much more expensive than Magnaflows 49 state. Still leaning toward Centerline as I like them though. Wonder if there is a performance different.
It is the actual catalyst that is more expensive on the CA versions. CA requires a more efficient cat that is more expensive to manufacture.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Basically universal cats wore out in less than 2 or 3 years and a California Congressman or his wife didn't pass smog after buying a uni cat. So that legislator got pissed and upped the standards to 5 years minimum warranty to pass. So the guts of a Cali certified cat is way thicker than a 49 state model and it must have the current Cal Air Resource Board #.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts