Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a question for everyone who has these installed. Did anyone's low end torque suffer? Mine has. It opens up well in the high revs and sounds great. But around town with low revs, it doesn't come up as fast as it used to.

Did anyone re-adjust their cam timing to help? This is on a Spica system. I have oversized valves and polished intakes, and Wes' A16 cam (10.2mm, 240 deg).

My muffler guy who installed it (owns Porsches and is a Euro hp guy, not a V8 muscle car guy) wonders why the secondary pipes are so short before the merge and is not completely in favor of the the design, although he marvels at the workmanship.

Any comments on performance from anyone?

Thanks

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I have a question for everyone who has these installed. Did anyone's low end torque suffer? Mine has. It opens up well in the high revs and sounds great. But around town with low revs, it doesn't come up as fast as it used to.
Stefano,

You might have some adjusting to do with your modified SPICA. Every Alfa that we have dynoed to date has shown and increase across the board in both HP and TQ with the system without any exceptions.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Gifford,

Do you have the stock handbrake linkage or have you modified your car for a GTV style e-brake between the seats? I know I would have to lengthen it, but worried about clearance up front.

Stu

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Gifford,

Do you have the stock handbrake linkage or have you modified your car for a GTV style e-brake between the seats? I know I would have to lengthen it, but worried about clearance up front.

Stu
Stu,

I don't know when they switched it, but my '72 Super had the handbrake on the floor between the seats.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents in.

As far as I am concerned Magnaflow is a Joke! I ordered a direct fit for my Alfa that was suppose to ship that week. Well, three production delays later and I'm still looking at maybe getting it in another month.

If Magnaflow is publishing availability time on their website than they better meet it.

My recomendation is pay more and go with another vendor!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

As far as I am concerned Magnaflow is a Joke! I ordered a direct fit for my Alfa that was suppose to ship that week. Well, three production delays later and I'm still looking at maybe getting it in another month.

If Magnaflow is publishing availability time on their website than they better meet it.

That's why you should have gotten it through the AlfaBB, I had no delay getting mine.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts

As far as I know, Magnaflow does not sell directly to the public. I just went on their site to double check. You probably ordered it through one of the dealers listed on their website.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yes I went through a dealer that does high volume through magnaflow and they have never seen this much difficulty getting one.

When I called Magnaflows customer service I was basically informed tough it will be manufactured when production gets to it.

I don't know what the problem is. I was thinking about getting the header and free flowing cat from centerline. Anyone have that setup on their S3.

·
Registered
451 Posts
do they only make a system for the gtv and spider? do they have plans for other models? milano?

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Yes I went through a dealer that does high volume through magnaflow and they have never seen this much difficulty getting one.
Randall I just sent you an email.

Do they only make a system for the gtv and spider? do they have plans for other models? milano?
We have the Alfa Romeo 105/115 specific exhaust made for us (AlfaBB). Right now due to the low demand of other models we don't have any other production plans.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
One of the MagnaFlow guys told me way back when, that I may need to make adjustments to this exhaust system. Are there instructions for this? Has anyone needed to make adjustments? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
One of the MagnaFlow guys told me way back when, that I may need to make adjustments to this exhaust system. Are there instructions for this? Has anyone needed to make adjustments? Thanks!
Kai,

Reread post #203, which itself redirects you to post #188. And I seem to remember somewhere back toward the beginning of the thread there was some discussion about the adjustment that were required for such things as having headers versus the stock exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hey Gifford,

Thanks for the reply. I may not have been clear enough in my request.

I have had the MagnaFlow exhaust system installed on my GTV for quite some time now. During the installation, a MagnaFlow technician stated that the system may need periodic adjustment. I was told to loosen (all?) the connection points, re-twist the pipes, hold and re-tighten. I cannot remember which direction I was instructed to loosen and twist the pipes.

I mention this because I do not want to put unnecessary strain on the cast iron headers and I see flashes from underneath during backfires. Therefore I am wondering if there is an opening in the exhaust system, i.e. something needs to be tightened or welded up.

More on (moron?) these flashes. I am seeing them reflect off embankments next to the driver's or passenger door. It's been a while since I cralled around underneath the car so I have not inspected the exhaust for holes yet. I know, I should address the backfire issue - carbs running too rich.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on which Magnaflow exhaust tip looks best on this system for a Spider? There are just way too many to choose from...oval? round? clamp on? etc etc...I can't tell from previous postings which ones people chose when they went that route.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion on which Magnaflow exhaust tip looks best on this system for a Spider? There are just way too many to choose from...oval? round? clamp on? etc etc...I can't tell from previous postings which ones people chose when they went that route.

Thanks...
Dan,

I have not noticed anyone putting a tip on the MagnaFlow exhaust. But if you look back at post #177, Paul (aka BattleBug) spent some time hand polishing the last few inches of his exhaust, and it looks vary good.

201 - 220 of 272 Posts