Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a small batch of these available.

These are made for us by Magnaflow and are high flowing converters with SS tubing. Much better then the older designs and for the same price (460.00) with a limited lifetime warranty. If you are interested drop me an email or PM by clicking this link or on my user name.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I got my cat, recently for about $62 out the door, no piping though, what is the additional cost for?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magnaflow 91005, Cat 2.25" In/Out No Air
Market price: $89.87 Our price: $57.96 save 36%

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
I got my cat, recently for about $62 out the door, no piping though, what is the additional cost for?
Simon is selling the complete front downpipe with cat, as an exact fit replacement for the factory piece. It's 100% stainless.

A part like this takes time to develop, test, and market. Comparing it to a universal fit cat is pretty Apples to Oranges if you ask me.

Considering what you get, I think it's quite reasonable, no?

Joe

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
---------------------------------------
Magnaflow 91005, Cat 2.25" In/Out No Air
Market price: $89.87 Our price: $57.96 save 36%
How much did you end up spending by the time it was all on your car? How much time did it take you to sort it all out? Is the rest of the tubing you used stainless? Were you able to just bolt it right up?

This is a very well priced item considering regular steel versions are selling for $440 and the proceeds help to offset the cost of running this site.

I was planning of building a complete system like the one offered for the GTV but from the feedback you guys have given it probably wouldn't be worth my time.

I still have a few left for those interested.

·
Registered
416 Posts
This setup looks great, Simon. I am especially impressed that it is made for Series 3 Spiders, since so few specialty items are.

I hope that you still have one left later this fall when I have the money.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Simon,

Thanks for providing parts for my favorite car. Looks like the set has everything I want- stainless steel tubing included, welds which won't rust, and should last a long time. I plan to buy a set from you if you're still manufacturing them.

Duke

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
How much did you end up spending by the time it was all on your car? How much time did it take you to sort it all out? Is the rest of the tubing you used stainless? Were you able to just bolt it right up?

This is a very well priced item considering regular steel versions are selling for $440 and the proceeds help to offset the cost of running this site.

I was planning of building a complete system like the one offered for the GTV but from the feedback you guys have given it probably wouldn't be worth my time.

I still have a few left for those interested.

I'm interested, even more so for a complete magnaflow system in stainless for a 1990 and up spider...

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Looks very nice! My only concern is where the O2 sensor bung is located - are you sure there is clearance between the mounted sensor top and the bottom of the drivers side footwell floor?
On mine ( '82 spider w/'74 type exhaust ) I had to move the bung to the side ( sensor is parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular ) to avoid cutting a hole in the floorboard ( which I did for a while )....

jeff

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks very nice! My only concern is where the O2 sensor bung is located - are you sure there is clearance between the mounted sensor top and the bottom of the drivers side footwell floor? On mine ( '82 spider w/'74 type exhaust ) I had to move the bung to the side ( sensor is parallel to the ground instead of perpendicular ) to avoid cutting a hole in the floorboard ( which I did for a while )....
Jeff,

I cant say for sure how much clearance is left after being installed. I personally have yet to install one. I'll try to get some photos of the clearance as soon as possible. However MAGNAFLOW makes first class products and I'm sure they took this into consideration when the original was designed.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Jeff,

I cant say for sure how much clearance is left after being installed. I personally have yet to install one. I'll try to get some photos of the clearance as soon as possible. However MAGNAFLOW makes first class products and I'm sure they took this into consideration when the original was designed.
Well, when I converted my stock exhaust to a '74 type, that ( 02 sensor location ) was the big buggaboo - I even had to cut a hole in the floorboard ( since repaired ) to accommodate the vertical sensor ( just not enough clearance in my case ) - so you can see why I'm a little leery about the location I see in the pics...

Oops! I just noticed that the front of the assembly uses a 2 bolt flange, whilst my headers are the 3 bolt pattern ( 74 cast iron )... looks like it's NDG for moi, anyway... :(

jeff

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Well, when I converted my stock exhaust to a '74 type, that ( 02 sensor location ) was the big buggaboo - I even had to cut a hole in the floorboard ( since repaired ) to accommodate the vertical sensor ( just not enough clearance in my case ) - so you can see why I'm a little leery about the location I see in the pics...

Oops! I just noticed that the front of the assembly uses a 2 bolt flange, whilst my headers are the 3 bolt pattern ( 74 cast iron )... looks like it's NDG for moi, anyway... :(

jeff
As Simon stated and I realize your concern, Magnaflow don't make junk. He's sold lots of these systems, if that had been a concern, I'd think someone would've mentioned it by now. Possibly IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just put one of these in my 89 Spider. The fit was pretty straight forward, the length was right and the O2 fit, you won't be able to get a socket on the O2 but there isn't much recess so a wrench works just fine.

The problems are in the flanges in my case. The rear flange where it mates the middle section is a good deal larger than the stock flange. They provide enough slop in the bolt holes to make it work but it is less than ideal. The flange where it mates the manifold needed to be worked, the holes were off about 1/8th inch all the way around and the angle of approach interferes with the steering column. I had to open the top flange holes quite a bit to get enough play in the approach for a match. And even that only left me with a 1/16th clearance from the steering. The exhaust currently rubs on a right turn. I'm still working on that problem.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cat removed - 1989 S3 Spider

Any comments regarding removal of the catalytic converter and running the car without?

Background first though - I'm in the UK and the whole exhaust was shot when I bought the car. I am not obliged to fit a catalytic converter because of the age of the car, and since they are quite expensive, I bought a standard exhaust system instead. I read up on the Lambda sensor, and since this measures the percentage levels of gases in the exhaust and feeds the signal back to the ECU, I welded it into place at an appropriate point the correct distance from the manifold. The car seems to run ok, but should I be leaving the Lambda off altogether or not?

While I have your interest, if anyone in the USA has a right side fender liner that they could post to Illinois, please get in touch.......

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you've got EFI, then you definitely want the lambda sensor regardless of the presence of a cat converter.

The sensor tells the EFI computer what it needs to know to adjust mixture, and without it, most systems revert to a significantly rich mixture across the board in an effort to not burn the engine up.

With it you get:

Stoich mixtures during closed loop operation
More accurate mixutre at idle (even though that's an open loop function, the ECU recognizes that the sensor is present and functioning and uses an appropriate fuel map instead of defualt 'emergency map')

What you get without it:

Slightly to horrifically over-rich mixture at all reve ranges and throttle positions

No stoich during cruising (resulting in a significant drop in miles per gallon)

Loaded or nasty plugs making for worse runing yet.

Do yourself a favor and leave it in there, really. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts