Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I may have found the right forum this time thanks to Hooligan...

I have been a 'lurker" for a long time reading your wonderful posts and in a way, reliving my youth.
I've been an Alfista since my first Spider...a '78 back in college in the early 80's.
Now that my son is driving I want him to be bitten by the same bug we've all been bitten by...so, I started searching.
Can anyone offer any opinions on this ride ?
I'm looking for a Spider from '77-'87 and stumbled upon this one.
I sent an e-mail asking if they have any pics of the underside and motor. I also asked if the dash has any cracks and if the 2nd gear grinds.
Anything else to look for ?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=198269681&dealer_id=42809822&car_year=1984&search_type=both&make=ALFA&distance=0&model=&address=35226&advanced=&certified=&max_price=&bkms=1143645797026&min_price=&first_record=26&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&pager.offset=25&lang=en&cardist=1811

Jon

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Here's a repost of my response from your misplaced thread, just in case anyone else wants to comment:

Hooligan said:
Jon,

First, you might want to try the spider forums instead... you'll get more traffic there. Second, if it's a cream-colored CA car you're looking for, this one just showed up on eBay and looks decent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Alfa-Romeo-Spider-Veloce_W0QQitemZ4626753106QQcategoryZ84154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Finally, here's some more info about that car in the ad from an ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-ALFA-ROMEO-SIPDER-VELOCE-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4623589939QQcategoryZ84154QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like it might have sold, though.

I recommend searching the Spider forum for more information, as there are a number of things you'll want to look for. If possible, I'd have someone who is really knowledged in these cars look at it before you purchase it... sometimes love and Alfa inexperience can be blind. While these aren't tough cars to live with, they aren't quite like buying a used Toyota, either.

2nd gear will almost definitely grind,too. ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, looks like she sold...Dang it !
Oh well, if it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be.

That just means there's a better Spider out there for my son and I.

The hunt continues

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You're in AL? There are a (rather surprising) number of AL members here, including one who is "mildy modifying" a Spider... might want to look at the very top thread. I would strong advise meeting some of your local Alfisti, looking at (and possibly driving) their cars, and getting some advice from them.

As a side note, you really might want to narrow your focus to a Series 2 or Series 3 Spider. You'll find a Series 3 to be generally easier to live with, but perhaps lacking in some of the character of a Series 2. However, proud S3 owners like myself might argue with you all day! ;)

For some basic info, check out: http://spiderfaq.home.att.net/

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew it would pay to join this sight. I'm trying to slowly catch up with the Alfa world. It's funny reading some of the threads because it brings back such memories.
Thanks for the info.

I owned a '78 and '81 Spider from 1983-1989 and now I've been wanting to scratch the itch again. I'd like a series 2 or 3...condition is everything to me so no hurry.

I can't wait to show my son how to "bump start" and Alfa using the clutch. These new cars don't let you do that anymore.
I knew every hill in town when I was in college !

Jon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RedSpider....if you don't mind...keep your eyes peeled for me.

Looking for a nice Alfa in the next 3-6 months..sooner for the right car.

Jon

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome from a fellow redneck, er, I mean Southerner.

Today is one of those days that makes Spider ownership so very worthwhile isn't it?

For those of you not blessed to live in the South it's going to be Sunny and in the upper 70's today.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He Scott...do you own a Spider ?

I'd love the one I had at Auburn many moons ago. It would be a wonderful day to pop the top.

Jon
P.S. I'm in Hoover

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fripp64 said:
He Scott...do you own a Spider ?

I'd love the one I had at Auburn many moons ago. It would be a wonderful day to pop the top.

Jon
P.S. I'm in Hoover
Yeah. I have a tired 1987. But it was a bargin.

I work on Southside and live South of Leeds.

Funny, I went to AU as well.

The Spider sparks my nostalgia because I can remember sitting in and lusting after one on display in Century Plaza Mall when I was about to graduate high school (making the car an '86 or '87 model).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What color is your '87 ? There's one for sale here in B'ham that I'd be interested in looking at.

I haven't driven one in years and I may be too nostalgic...ha ha

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fripp64 said:
What color is your '87 ? There's one for sale here in B'ham that I'd be interested in looking at.
Badly faded red.

Mine is a rebuild titled vehicle. One day I hope to do a ground-up restore but I have two other projects I'd like to complete first (see sig).

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Fripp64, welcome, and don't take ScottJ175's post the wrong way

ScottJ175 said:
Welcome from a fellow redneck, er, I mean Southerner....
Everyone who drives a convertable is a redneck. ;)

I mean it's like a badge of honor or something showing that, yes, you can and do drive with the top down. (myself, I have long hair and don't really 'redneck out', but I do get these really cool raccoon eyes due to my choice of sunglasses :D Oh, and brown spots on my arms. Can't forget the brown spots.....)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How cool ! You're my hero.

I'm a BMW man now for the last few years but as I've said in previous posts I'm getting the itch to find a nice Alfa. My oldest is 16 this year and I'd love to have a car we can both have fun in around town.
I may go look at the one north of B'ham I found.
"Hey, I may ask you to come along and give me an experts opinion. I'm no mechanic. All I know to look for is the cracked dashy, the 2nd gear grind, sagging springs in the rear....and the inevitable rust.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fripp64 said:
"Hey, I may ask you to come along and give me an experts opinion. I'm no mechanic. All I know to look for is the cracked dashy, the 2nd gear grind, sagging springs in the rear....and the inevitable rust.
If I have the time, sure. I'm not sure how much help I would be though. My ability to value things in this market seems all out of whack.

Have you ever priced a used 4X4 of any sort around here?

Seems like that carries over into other things from time to time.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Spider Issues

Rust...rockers and spare tire well
Electrical...almost anywhere
'86 on...electronic instrument pod

The add you linked to shows a car with an interior that has been modified. The dash is two tone, perhaps a cap and the widow sills look like they have had the leater removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts