Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
My book has an original gold embossed sticker in the inside of the back cover that has the word price in Italian and shows 8.000 preceded with an L or something that looks similar, but not the British pound sign.
It probably is the Lira sign. The British Pound sign is £ while the Italian Lira sign is ₤.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the information folks, especially to you Cheryl for the level of detail you always go to the trouble of including! If I'm going to be thoroughly confused, I like to be thoroughly confused by LOTS of information :)

It sounds like the book I bought is a first print of the 1978 edition. Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail in a week or so!

Though I now have a new dilemma. With copies of the Fusi book and the Tony Adriansen GTA book, I better photograph them and get a valuation estimate for insurance purposes. But who could provide a valuation on such niche books?

Damien

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Luigi Fusi Book

Thanks for all the information folks, especially to you Cheryl for the level of detail you always go to the trouble of including! If I'm going to be thoroughly confused, I like to be thoroughly confused by LOTS of information :)
Damien
You're welcome....a couple of corrections or additions about the 1965 bluish/grey edition followed by the 1978 third edition. I should learn not to write w/o the book in front of me. The bluish/grey dust cover has the quadifoligo leaf, the title, All the Cars from 1910 in Italian, and white line drawings of various cars going across the dust jacket, front and back, with the red cross on the reverse of the dust jacket near the spine and the green snake where the cross parts intersect or are perpendicular.

It is totally in Italian. The letters embossed on the title page are: SIAE in the center of the medallion with the words around them in Italian: Societa Italiana Degli or Degu Autori ED Editori + IH + . The last + sign is between IH and Societa as you read it in a circle. It was hard to read, I had to use a loop so it may not be totally correct but as good as I can get with what I can see.

On the 1978 Third Edition, it is both in English and Italian on some pages, like mirror images; in other places in the book, primarily with schematics and diagrams it is totally in Italian. In addition to the correspondence, there is also a 1900 register as of 2000 with all the owners, chassis numbers, type of car etc.

Yes, 8000 lira at 625 to the dollar, or $12.80 US. Quite expensive for a car book in 1965.
The label marking is neither the pound sterling designation or the lira designation. It is simply an L followed by 8.000. Not 8,000.

Just a little more confusion to add to the topic.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Luigi Fusi Book

Though I now have a new dilemma. With copies of the Fusi book and the Tony Adriansen GTA book, I better photograph them and get a valuation estimate for insurance purposes. But who could provide a valuation on such niche books? Damien
Having a library is a two-edged sword as well as how you deal with its value, kind of like the guy who gets in an accident and the insurance company says Blue Book on this car is....

You can go all out or you can take your chances and hope you don't suffer a loss. Here are a few things to consider that go beyond just the value of the books, but what or how the focus can be changed by outsiders.

Having a library with an appraised value opens doors to the unsrupulous. The book collector who now knows what you have and may low ball it to get it from you. There are those that are less above board and resort to stealing. Having said that it's foolish to ask someone that knows nothing about car books or Alfa Romeo, specifically, to value a book on the subject. As a general rule, I feel you are better off not letting everyone know exactly what your library contains unless you want to protect it like the Hope diamond or declare capital gains on the sale of appreciated items to uncle sam. The more of a paper trail you have as far as documentation, which is necessary to substantiate a loss, the more interested uncle sam is; you are no longer hobbying around collecting a few books for private use. They start looking for a hidden business connection etc. that you have not been upfront about.

Pat and I used an umbrella policy to cover the library and his car collection, which meant we could furnish legitmate documentation to the insurance company on values w/o having each item individually appraised which established what level of umbrella policy we should buy; they were generally sold in 100k increments. Documentation is the key here, we tracked out-of-print books and what they were selling for to set both a high and low mark to determine a representative sample of the library and cars owned, not necessarily every single item. By so doing we didn't have to furnish a complete list of individual books that could fall into the wrong hands or of each car.

So it just depends on how much you want to disclose and how much risk or loss you're willing to suffer --- one at the expense of the other.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Certain books with in any marque are collectables because the book itself has become a reference to which others use as a source. In our case the Fusi books are what we call the "bible" for establishing numbers of production and serial number runs for the models. Before the Amico and Tabucci books, Fusi was the most definitive source that I knew of. Yes, we know it has errors and so did Sr. Fusi. As I have said in other posts, the printer used previous information and put that into the later printing of the red/white edition. It was also a known fact that the printing of the grey/white book also had errors. So, what we have is a transcription of errors from one edition to the later edition. The Amico and Tabucci book was out to set the record straight and they have done a superb job. There is an addendum to this book as well.

Because the Fusi books are a reference source, given the scarcity of them on the open market, the law of supply and demand come into play. On Ebay it is often seen that the red/white books bring $250+. The earlier books seen less often can bring $350+ depending on condition. Personally signed editions bring more as they add provenance and a story to that particular book.

I should sit down and write out a description of how I came to own each of the Fusi books and my connection to each of them. :)

The BB is a great resource for information on books and Ms. Braden and drecterini do know their books. ;)

·
Registered
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
After thinking more about it - for my small library of books, all I probably need to do is photograph them (to prove possession and condition in the event of a loss), and track the sales of these books on ebay and other sources, to give a real 'market' valuation.

I've been meaning to do a total photographic inventory of all my main household contents, so this may be the catalyst to finally doing it!

As others have said, for such a niche book as the Fusi, it would be near impossible for a bookseller to give a value. I'm sure an insurance assessor would have trouble arguing against evidence of actual recent sale prices.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Damo, you're a bit lucky lately.. :D
Could you find Tabucchi's "Alfa Romeo GTA" book for a similar price or at least somewhere less or at $100 for me? :D

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
The label marking is neither the pound sterling designation or the lira designation. It is simply an L followed by 8.000. Not 8,000.

Just a little more confusion to add to the topic.
Having spent a considerable amount of time in Italy, I can tell you it was not uncommon in Italy to just use a capital L for Lire....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Could you find Tabucchi's "Alfa Romeo GTA" book for a similar price or at least somewhere less or at $100 for me? :D
Theo...

If I find Tabucchi's book for a bargain price I'll be keeping it for myself! But if I find two, then you'll be the first person I offer the second one to :p

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Luigi Fusi Book / Alfa Romeo GTA by Tabuchhi

Here are some quick search results; as you will see not within the price range that you are requesting, although TE Worth is always one of the highest....$100 was the average price for this book in 2004.

l. . Alfa Romeo GTA (Italian text)
Tabucchi M
Nada 1994 8879111329 Hardbound PLEASE NOTE, BOOK IS NOT IN STOCK (DO NOT ADD TO SHOPPING CART). WE WILL BE HAPPY TO FIND A COPY FOR YOU. PRICE WILL BE AS SHOWN OR MORE PLUS A $20 SEARCH FEE. PLEASE CLICK ''OFFLINE SEARCH SERVICE'' AND ENTER BOOK DETAILS. 304 pages

Price: 300.00 USD

I also looked at these, all who had none in stock:

Abe Books
Fred Chapparo
Biblio.com
Albiris (you can fill out a fetch form and they will notify you if and when one is in stock)
Moto.lit and several other speciality automotive book sellers
Bookfinder.com
Amazon.com (worldwide)
Opendoorbooks.com (also have a form where they will search for you)
Motorbooksitaliano.com

The "sort of good news:"

Chater's Motoring Booksellers had at least one in stock this a.m. at 80. lbs. sterling plus shipping which translates to $159.36 U.S. at an exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.99169 USD. However, I have no idea what the price would be in Australia's or Greece's currency.

HTH.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Luigi Fusi Book / Rare Book Theft

Speaking of book thieves, read about Stephen Blumberg who stole only rare books from archives, museums, and universities, including the entire Cotton Mather collection from the University of Connecticut. He believed it was his life mission to collect all the rare books and preserve them for mankind. As the books began to pile up, he stored them shelved floor to ceiling in a house in Ohio. His downfall, needing an accomplice to help steal the CM collection, who sold him out to the FBI when he was "busted" on a drug charge.

OCLC produced a video about him and his thefts: "The Omaha Project: A Rare Book Adventure" available via ILL from your favorite local library. Court TV has also featured it as one of their episodes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could anybody tell me from which year is the second edition of Fusi book?
It´s clear that first edition is from 1965 and the third one from 1978, but nobody seems have took in his hands the second edition.

Regards from Menorca Island in Spain.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fusi

Could anybody tell me from which year is the second edition of Fusi book?
It´s clear that first edition is from 1965 and the third one from 1978, but nobody seems have took in his hands the second edition.

Regards from Menorca Island in Spain.
Hi,
i have one of the third Edition, but I don´t know the year.
Jürgen Döhren

·
Registered
161 Posts
Out of Sale Edition

After reading this thread and comparing to my own book - I have a 3rd Edition - but it is not stated as on the pictures posted before - but it‘s called „EDIZIONE FUORI COMMERCIO - OUT OF SALE EDITION“
Is it an further edition after the 3rd.?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
"Out of Sale Edition"

I suspect that your copy is a promotional version of the third edition, perhaps part of an overage (scheduled or not?) of the scheduled print run? It appears that you have a Fusi signature bleeding through from the reverse side of the title page? I am attaching scans of the first three pages of the chassis number appendix from my copy of the Third Edition with some layout (typography?) errors marked. If your pages 835-837 match the original ink of mine, then that will generally confirm this suspicion. There are other legacy errors in these pages that I've not marked. Some scans of a 1935 listing from Alfa Romeo will be shared in the near future. It will show a large number of similar errors and will illustrate how incomplete Alfa Romeo's own coverage was, long before many documents were reportedly destroyed during WWII.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Hello John

My Edition printed in 1978 matches yours, thank you for the corrections, I've added them to mine. Fusi has quite a few little mistakes as we all know, I suspect that while Luigi's name is on the front cover and he took the credit (and the money), some nameless clerk worked tirelessly trawling through the archives to compile all of this information and laboriously typed it all down manually - probably on an Olivetti typewriter. I doubt that whoever they were had an in-depth knowledge of the marque and hence the myriad of little mistakes that crept in.

The Fusi book is all about learning how to read & interpret it, I'm still learning 25+ years later. Despite the hiccups we all owe Luigi & his clerk a great deal of gratitude .

Ciao
Greig

21 - 40 of 47 Posts