Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Does anyone know how many editions of the Luigi Fusi book were printed? Are they all the same, with the exception of the later editions obviously having the newer models in them?

I just bought the first edition on ebay. It was listed as 1978 edition, in English and Italian, in as new condition.

It was 'buy it now' for 24.99GBP, which I thought is maybe a bit of a bargain?? So I jumped on it!

It was a hassle though, as it required immediate payment, and the seller only had shipping rates listed for the UK, so I couldn't complete the transaction. Strangely, the seller was in the same small town as Alfaholics, so I thought...."I know, I'll ask the seller to drop it into Max, and surely he won't mind posting it to me!". But then I remembered those guys are all at Concorso Italiano and are closed until next week. But thankfully I have friends in the UK, who now have a Luigi Fusi book on its way to them. Hope they don't mind posting it on to me :)

Damien

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hi All

Does anyone know how many editions of the Luigi Fusi book were printed? Are they all the same, with the exception of the later editions obviously having the newer models in them?

I just bought the first edition on ebay. It was listed as 1978 edition, in English and Italian, in as new condition.

It was 'buy it now' for 24.99GBP, which I thought is maybe a bit of a bargain?? So I jumped on it!

It was a hassle though, as it required immediate payment, and the seller only had shipping rates listed for the UK, so I couldn't complete the transaction. Strangely, the seller was in the same small town as Alfaholics, so I thought...."I know, I'll ask the seller to drop it into Max, and surely he won't mind posting it to me!". But then I remembered those guys are all at Concorso Italiano and are closed until next week. But thankfully I have friends in the UK, who now have a Luigi Fusi book on its way to them. Hope they don't mind posting it on to me :)

Damien
The 1978 one is the third and last edition. The first one was in 1965. I recommend you check carefully whether the offer on eBay wasn't for a scan of the book on CD or any kind of self-made reprint. It is said that during the late 80s/early 90s, a batch of facsimile, identical in any aspect to the 1978 edition, was reprinted. Was then for sale at the Italian specialized place in the 75 euros range.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
as GTV2000 mentions, it is the last edition.....if it is the real thing, you got yourself a SUPER bargain!!!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's certainly not a CD or scan copy, it's the book. Whether it's an original as claimed, or a reprinted fake remains to be seen I guess. The seller has 100% positive feedback, and seems to deal in a lot of aviation memorabilia and books.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the text from the listing:

Alfa Romeo - All Cars From 1910 (Emmeti Grafica) - 1st Edition Hard Back Format

This book is a technical and historical "document", illustrating meticulously the constant development of a great latin industry, it contains within it's pages, the histroy of the touring, sporting and racing cars, allowing the lamen a better knowledge of the entensive and almost immortal field of Alfa Romeo's ancestory. In English and Italian.

This is a VERY VERY RARE book!.

This large hardback book has 875 pages
This item is as new and in immaculate condition. One copy only.

And the pic from the listing:

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
It seems unbelievable to find a copy of Fusi's bible for such a low price!
I remember when i bought my copy it was a bit of a pain even though i don't remember the exact figure i paid.
If it's the real thing, you are super lucky. The book has lots lots of information. According to some people, some data are not 100% accurate but even if it's true the book is a piece of history by alone!

edit after the pic posted:
The book is in very very good condition. This could be good but it could also be a bad thing. Please ask the seller confirm that the book is not a reprint or something!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess even if it is a reprint, for the money I paid it's worth it to me to have the information that it contains.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Luigi Fusi Book

This book is a technical and historical "document", illustrating meticulously the constant development of a great latin industry, it contains within it's pages, the histroy of the touring, sporting and racing cars, allowing the lamen a better knowledge of the entensive and almost immortal field of Alfa Romeo's ancestory. In English and Italian.

I'm not positive, but I believe the one shown is a later edition. I have the one pictured and I have another one that has a blue dust jacket, which I think is the older edition. One of them is autographed, I think it's the blue one.

I'm not where I can pull both copies and look at the differences, including copyright.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I also have the one pictured and it is the 1978 (Third) Edition. It has a printed autograph on the title page. I bought it new about 20 years ago at a cost well above the equivalent of 24.99GBP.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts

I belive the edition with that cover was reprinted a couple of times, and the most recent edition is circa 1984. The first edition haqs a blue/grey cover and is smaller in size.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Excellent buy, Damien! I think the seller didn't understand the value of the book and is probably an amateur: S/he didn't even list the author's name in the auction title (see here). I bought my copy (also a 1978 3rd Edition which looks more worn than yours) for $150 about 5 years ago on eBay and thought I got a deal (as I've seen some copies sell for up to $500). You can smile every time you look at it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I asked the seller if it was an original book or a reprint, and he said it's a 1978 edition, which seems to correspond with what others here are saying.

From the text in the listing he seems to understand it's a rare book, which makes me wonder why he didn't know it's value.

Anyway, time will tell if it's genuine or fake I guess.

Damien

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I have two copies of the 1963 Second Edition which has the bluish/grey cover, one of which is personally signed by Cav. Fusi. The 1963 editions didn't come signed, so if anyone has a signed copy then you have something special. I also have a copy of the red/white 1978 3rd edition. The 1978 first editions were a short run, but I don't know how many that would have been. I personally have never seen a 2nd edition. Most of the ones that are available are 3rd editions. I had at one time a first edition, but it slipped out of my hands so to speak. My red/white has a printed signature on the front page and on the opposite page has a glued in sticker with a real signature with the initials L.D.A. I am not sure what that means, maybe Cheryl can clarify.

Is there any source that can tell how many copies of a book have been printed other than the printer?

Someone got a real deal on a Fusi book! ;)

I have all of Sr. Fusi's books with the exception of the 6c1750 edition to complete the collection.
There was recently on Ebay a copy of Le Grande Alfa Romeo which was a limited printing, that went for a nice price. I have seen the Tipo A book for sale, and should be available, which was his last book from what I understand, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
velocedoc - I'm a bit confused. From your comments, do I interpret that the 1978 edition was a reprint of the 1st edition?

From what others have said I interpreted it to be the 3rd edition, but the ebay seller listed it as a "1978 first edition".

Although I don't really mind, I'm just happy to have bought a copy of the Fusi book for a bargain price. It eases the pain of the hit I took on the Aussie stockmarket today!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Luigi Fusi Book

I bought a copy of the 1978 edition as soon as it was available (paid about $60). Here is what the dust cover looks like, and the author's autograph.
My best guess, is that the book which is posted within this post by yvesmontreal, with a dust cover and a machined autograph, meaning not individually signed by the author, is a "first" edition of the 1978 updated edition of the original work that was published earlier.

There are several ways that publisher's indicate "first" edition of an item: "First Edition," the series of numbers "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9," and the lack of imprint of any edition information meaning the second edition would say second edition or printing or would show dates: 1963, 1965, 1978 etc.

I guess, I actually have three copies of this book, the 1978 edition I found this a.m. is a third edition without a machined or individually signed autograph, but it does have some personal correspondence in it between Luigi Fusi and Pat. This is the copy that Pat used most and still has his tabbed pages in it with post it notes and additional notes.

I have two copies of the 1963 Second Edition which has the bluish/grey cover, one of which is personally signed by Cav. Fusi. The 1963 editions didn't come signed, so if anyone has a signed copy then you have something special. I also have a copy of the red/white 1978 3rd edition. The 1978 first editions were a short run, but I don't know how many that would have been. I personally have never seen a 2nd edition. Most of the ones that are available are 3rd editions. I had at one time a first edition, but it slipped out of my hands so to speak. My red/white has a printed signature on the front page and on the opposite page has a glued in sticker with a real signature with the initials L.D.A. I am not sure what that means, maybe Cheryl can clarify.
Cheryl, clarify anything, certainly you must be kidding? You ought to know by now I confuse issues by digging up conflicting information and citing it. ;)

As far as the older edition of Fusi's work with the 1910 title, my actual book cover is plain bluish/grey w/o graphics or words; it has a bluish/grey dust cover with the graphics and wording on it similar to that of the later edition red/white book shown in an earlier post. My book is copyrighted October (in Italian) 1965, shows Milan as the city, and does not show an edition number. So if they were originally published in 1963, mine is not a first edition. My book has an original gold embossed sticker in the inside of the back cover that has the word price in Italian and shows 8.000 preceded with an L or something that looks similar, but not the British pound sign. On the title page in edition to Pat's embossed library stamp there is an embossed stamp in Italian that has the initials ISIA in the middle, as I recall, and has the representative words spelled out in Italian around it. If you want to see the stamp or words I can either scan them or post them.

This copy is not autographed but has some Bugatti information in Italian in it that Pat put there apparently for safe keeping.

The third copy of the book is the one that I could not locate this a.m., the autographed one. I'm going to guess, it is like the 1978 edition posted with the machined autograph, unless I have another bluish/grey one that is autographed, which is my recollection, which could be wrong. It's hard for me to remember every detail of every book in Pat's library, especially with some duplicate titles that were purchased for different reasons.

Is there any source that can tell how many copies of a book have been printed other than the printer?
Certainly, the author would know. Pat always got a statement of when a book was going back on the presses and how many copies were printed. You could also get a rough estimate if you had access to the number of books that royalties were paid on; however, you have to take into account from that figure, damaged and returned books, discards, and misprints etc.

Someone got a real deal on a Fusi book! ;)
I agree, collectible book prices are very high especially for out-of-print items and escalated even more by condition, who owned the copy previously, subject to documentation, and if they are "individually" autographed; and further depending on the buyer, a personalized inscription can either add or detract from the value. In my case as a collector, it normally adds rather than detracts from the value because of the story it tells based on documentation of who the person was and any connection to the author.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts