Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a wrench big enough to remove the lug nuts on my spider's wheels- mechanic tightened them beyond belief and now I am stuck in my driveway with a flat tire. The standard four sided wrench does not give me the leverage. So my question is, what size are the lugs?
Thanks
marco

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Marco, if you have a '69 or older spider the lug-nuts on the divers side maybe reserve-thread. Bill is right on about the 19mm, make sure you get a 6-pt socket. If the four-end wrench fits tight on the nut get a piece of pipe to slip over the opposite end as an extention for leverage.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Marco, what rogerspeed was saying is reverse thread, meaning left hand as opposed to right hand threads, (what we normally would expect). If the threads are left hand and the lug nuts are 22mm, then there will be a slight cut mark on the hex part high points, and no mark on the right hand nuts.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Marco, what rogerspeed was saying is reverse thread, meaning left hand as opposed to right hand threads, (what we normally would expect). If the threads are left hand and the lug nuts are 22mm, then there will be a slight cut mark on the hex part high points, and no mark on the right hand nuts.

George - right on, the brain cells can't spell or remember well enough these days!

Marco - How'd you make out?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Thanks to all you guys- this board is the best. I got the wrench at Sears- it's huge- and with a lot of elbow grease, I got them off. Now I need a good torque wrench to set them properly. I can only be thankful that this all happened in my driveway and not out on the road. Can you imagine an alfisti calling AAA to change a tire? Too embarrasing for words.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Speaking of which (torque), please correct my memory on this: alloy wheels torque to 65 ft-lbs and steel to 100. Correct? I know the cross-wise and step up drill (20 ft-lb per round). I have ca-85 Cromadora Daytonas. Tks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts