Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping the steel wheels on my 1968 Spider for alloys - can I use the same lug nuts or is there a special type for alloys?

·
Premium Member
21,362 Posts
They should work, but which lug nuts do you have now? The shouldered type that trap the sombrero? The later alloys have a shorter acorn lug nut, though they're only in RH format, and with a 1750, you ought to have LH on the left side.

Are the 1750 studs long enough for mags? If I remember right, short 1750 lugs are not really deep enough for Alfa mags, allowing the nut to grab only a few threads. Or is that only 1600 studs and 1750 studs are longer?

Andrew

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have different LH and RH threaded nuts but I've no idea how long the studs are - I assume they are the standard ones for a 1750. The alloys are from a 1990 Spider.

How big a deal is it to fit longer studs?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You might want to look a bit harder at the alloy vs steel lugs.

While not always the case, at times there are differences in the shape of the nose, which if off by enough can potentially crack a alloy at regular torque spec ranges.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
How big a deal is it to fit longer studs?
On the front it should be pretty easy - just replace the rotors with newer ones and they'll have the longer studs. In the rear I think you have to pull the axles. Your 68 studs will probably be too short for the later alloys. I have a set of period BWA sportstars (not for sale) that fit the short studs just fine but the later Turbinas do not.

Bill

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, new rotors on the front and, I may as well spring for a 2L axle with a LSD for the rear - that's going to take some expaining when all I was after (so I told her) was a nice set of wheels.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So, new rotors on the front and, I may as well spring for a 2L axle with a LSD for the rear - that's going to take some expaining when all I was after (so I told her) was a nice set of wheels.
Make sure to get the correct gear ratio.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've now had a chance to offer up the wheels and it looks like the studs may be too short. I can only use the last 10mm of thread - is that enough? I'll have to get new lug nuts anyway because the ones I have are threaded all the way through and look ugly.

Curiously, the RH front has studs which are 7mm longer than the rest so I guess someone has replaced one front rotor with a later type at some time in the past.

Make sure to get the correct gear ratio.
What should I be looking at for a UK spec car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts