Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Texas Hill Country still planning on a LUCAS-MARELLI TOUR in late April? If so, what dates?

Thanks,

Galt Morgan

·
Registered
720 Posts
Is the Texas Hill Country still planning on a LUCAS-MARELLI TOUR in late April? If so, what dates?

Thanks,

Galt Morgan
Galt --

Sad to say, but intense demands at work got in the way of the planning for this year's Lucas-Marelli tour. :( I still hope to have it, just later in the year.

I'll announce the date on the AlfaBB once it's been determined.

Thanks for the support and interest!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
That tour was great fun last year, Dean. I hope to be able make it again. Actually, I'd like to get back closer so I could help plan. (Time will tell.) Let us know when it gets scheduled so I can plan to be in TX.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
I'd like to be in town for a change so I could go!! :-(

·
Registered
720 Posts
These posts are good for keeping me motivated to make this happen later in the year.

·
Registered
720 Posts
New Tour Date - November 12, 2011

This year's Hill Country Lucas-Marelli Tour has been re-scheduled to November 12th. It looks like this date avoids conflicts with UT football games and other major events.

The format will be similar to those in the past: bring an interesting car, start with breakfast at Casa Mericas in Hudson Bend, enjoy a 2-3 hour drive through some of the best back roads the Hill Country has to offer, and end up at a great place for lunch and drinks to enjoy the company of fellow gear heads. We're going to try and weave in an interesting stop along the way.

Details will follow!

Some pictures from last year's tour:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yea!
I will make every effort to be back in the Republic at that time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Lucas-Marelli Tour Update - Responses requested!

The Hill Country Lucas-Marelli Tour will be held on November 12th this year, starting at our place for breakfast, and ending with an Italian lunch at Trattoria Lisina in Driftwood, TX (Trattoria Lisina). The restaurant is in a beautiful setting, adjacent to the Mandola vineyard and winery. There is an Italian market and even a bocce ball court for after-lunch recreation.

The meal will be a family-style 3-course lunch with bread, olive oil, and non-alcoholic beverages for $25/person, plus tax and tip. A cash bar will be available.

We can get a reserved room on the veranda with a guaranteed group of 50 or more people. We had about 60 last year at the Trois Estate. However, a reserved separate room requires that I sign a contract, put down a deposit, and we spend a minimum of $1,500, including the cash bar. I would be responsible for any shortfall on meeting this minimum. Otherwise, they'll take a reservation for us as a group in one of the dining rooms with no minimum or contract. So, I need to get some sense of how many people plan to attend.

Can you please PM me within the next week if you plan to attend, and let me know how many people. This isn't a commitment at this time, but I'll be writing a deposit check based on the responses I get, so please be realistic. I'm posting similar announcements to the Hill Country Triumphs Club, the Morgan Club, and others.

Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
RSVP needed this week for the Lucas-Marelli Tour

Bump

Please read and RSVP no later than this Sunday, October 30th. If you are bringing a guest, please include that info.

Elizabeth & I need your help to finalize arrangements for the Lucas-Marelli Tour.

To recap:
This year’s Tour will be held on Saturday, November 12th, starting with breakfast at our place in Hudson Bend. We’ll drive about 150 miles on scenic roads around Lake Travis, arriving in Driftwood shortly after noon for an Italian lunch at Trattoria Lisina (Trattoria Lisina). The restaurant is in a beautiful setting, adjacent to the Mandola vineyard and winery. There is an Italian market and even a bocce ball court for after-lunch recreation.

The meal will be a family-style 3-course Italian lunch with bread, olive oil, and non-alcoholic beverages for $25/person, plus tax and tip. A cash bar will be available. They need a head count from me no later than this Sunday, October 30th.

To date, we have about two dozen people who have told me they will be participating. If over 50 people RSVP we may be able to get a reserved room on the veranda, which would be better for socializing. We had about 60 people last year at the Trois Estate. However, a reserved separate room requires that I sign a contract, put down a deposit, and that we spend a minimum of $1,500, including the cash bar. I would be personally responsible for any shortfall on meeting this minimum. Obviously, I need a head count and a commitment that you will attend.

Otherwise, they'll take a reservation for us as a group in one of the dining rooms with no minimum or contract.

In either case, they need a head count and other information by Sunday. So please RSVP me right away if you plan to attend, and let me know how many people will be in your party.

For breakfast, Elizabeth is going through her cookbooks and needs a head count as well.

PM or email me if you have any questions.

Details on time and route will be distributed to those who RSVP.

I'm posting similar announcements to the Hill Country Triumphs Club, the Morgan Club, and others.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Count me in. There is no excuse for me to not have my car ready. Except indolence, distraction . . .
Haven't asked Bob, yet. So a "probably" for him.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Update

The weather is looking perfect for Saturday, and we have 41 RSVPs, so it'll be a nice sized group.

The restaurant has reserved a veranda room for the group and agreed to change from the $25/person fixed price menu to an expanded menu that allows individuals to order and pay ala carte.

Details and directions have been distributed to those who RSVP-ed. We have room for a couple of more if anyone wants to join us, but we need to know ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dean,

Thanks for organizing a great tour. My wife and I had a great time and enjoyed meeting the Austin Alfisti. Thanks also to Elizabeth for a fantastic breakfast and the lunch choice was great even if the service was a bit slow. Made for good conversation.

Thanks again. Would love to participate again next year.

Galt

·
Registered
720 Posts
Galt --

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for making the trip from Houston to join us. It was a pretty perfect convergence of weather, roads, and people.

The restaurant warned me that the service would be slow with a group of 40 and the larger menu selection. I think it's a matter of exceeding kitchen capacity. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves during the wait, though.

You're on the distribution list for future L-M Tours.

I'd be interested in seeing any pictures that others may have to share. I managed to bring a camera with a dead battery ....

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Wel, since you asked . . .

We had two firing cameras so here's a few shots.

Very nice day Dean and Elizabeth. An epic breakfast filled the tank. Very well planned route and the stop at Phil's was great. Lisina's was very nice and the time spent catching up on war stories was well worth it as long as the wine sup-ply held out, and it did. Nice to see some UK cars and meet some new folks for me for a change!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Pics #2

On the road now, out north side of Lake Travis on SH1431 to the south of Marble Falls for pit stop.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Post #3

Winding around 962 east from 281, through the Pedernales low water crossing, up Hamilton Pool road, and out through the Dripping Springs/Fitzhugh area with a stop at Phil's resto shop, then to Lisinas for a great and leisurely lunch, well earned.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Thanks to Dean and Liz for planning such a great tour (to say nothing of preparing such a great breakfast). One of the best things about living here is being able to drive a few minutes from one's house and find these wonderfull back-country roads. Mostly deserted except for scant local traffic (you can drive for miles and not meet another car . . . or a cop) and with challenging curves, the Hill Country is a joy for Alfa driving.

But what made it all so great was travelling with such an enjoyable group of enthusiasts. And then there was that splendid lunch . . . People pay big bucks to get to do this and we get it 'fer free.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Not much local traffic but it seems like every time I get on one there is a big rig, moving truck, RV or bicycles going very slowly, like half that jaunt on 1431. But that only happened once this tour.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Only took one photo, but it gives you an idea of the variety of vehicles that participated. I am always amazed at the interesting people I meet, and information I gain, on touring events. Thanks Dean and Liz!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts