Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I made a big mistake yesterday.
I replaced the transaxle oil on my Milano Verde and I used the Amsoil 75w90 Severe Gear plus their LSD friction modifier.

Now my question is: is the Amsoil friction modifier bad for the synchro?
If so, which oil should I choose, Amsoil severe gear or Redline SN?

Thanks, Claudio.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,657 Posts
The LSD friction modifier isn't great for synchronizer performance. I would stick to one of the Alfa-proven lubes (like the aforementioned Redline 75W90NS) and only add modifier as-needed if you have problematic LSD chatter.

·
Premium Member
16,002 Posts
I'n using the Redline 75-90NS in the gearbox of my 164LS, seems to work, at least hasn't changed anything in a significant nature except reduce the gear noise a little but sometimes I wonder if the NS additive will affect the life of the synchros, ie, shorten it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,657 Posts
No, Del, the NS is the one that doesn’t have the LSD additive.

·
Premium Member
16,002 Posts
Hmm, ok, I thought that, though, whether or not there was an additive, the change in friction on a synchro could change the life of it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been using since 12+ years Castrol LS90 with excellent results. Btw, I am a firm believer that the very best to increase your synchros life is virtually not use them, which means in other words, double clutching. I always do it to the point that I am watched with an expression similar to a person having just seen a ghost when I test drive a new car with manual transmission and the dealer seats besides me;)

·
Richard Jemison
7,522 Posts
The NS doesn`t need it. Opposite of the additive it enhances LSD lock-up. It`s all I use or suggest that my customers use in my racing transaxles, LSD differentials or transmissions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for all your replies.

I went with Amsoil after I read the article below, the mistake I did is to use the LSD additive. Anyway I sent an email to Amsoil to ask if their LSD additive can be bad for the synchro and I will go from there even if I am pretty sure I will replace the oil with the Redline SN.

The question that I have regarding the Redline SN is this: I read comment of people saying that this oil is great for racing application, now the thing is, is it good as well for daily driving car? There is a huge difference between race and daily. Race cars are serviced and rebuild often (I mean as soon they need it) so the longevity is yes important but not crucial. What is crucial is the performance.

In my case is the opposite, because I daily my Milano I want the most protection/longevity as possible.

Ciao, Claudio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts