Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

1991 Alfa Spider with about 94K miles.

I have the LSD on the bench. All the gears look good.

While it is out, I would like to check the contact pattern between the Ring and the Pinion. Just because it is out.

I have seen a ton of videos but none that look like our differentials.

I have the paint for the gears.

Is it as easy as installing the LSD into the case, install the axle tubes, turn the differential front and back and that's it?

I have seen on the other differentials, that pressure is needed, but dont know how to do that with ours.

Many thanks in advance.

Vin

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Once R & P gear sets are worn in, moving the pinion in or out ANY amount will make the assembly run noisy, on acceleration, deceleration or both. Do NOT mess with it's current set up if it was quiet. Working with Ferrari R & P's in transaxles CONVINCED me I am NOT a gearologist, and I leave these jobs to those that know how, and have the set-up tools and jigs.
This is ONLY my opinion from my own experiences.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
yes, that is how it is done. I;ve completely rebuilt 3 Alfa diffs, all bearings replaced, reshimmed, etc. Its finicky. You should be able to see the wear pattern on the gear already-- and I agree with Gordon, if it aint broke dont fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me, I am not fooling with anything.

While it is out on the bench, I just want to see where it is.

I will paint her up and show you the pattern for your learned reading.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally had some time for myself and painted up the ring gear.

I oiled up all the parts before installing the LSD.

I painted about 5 teeth in 4 sections. Turned the front 5 full rotations to the right and 5 full rotations to the left.
IMG_9199.JPG

Here are the patterns in the front (drive) and the rear (coast) patterns. Hope I got that right.

I took the pictures in order, so the first picture of drive and the same picture of the coast side.

Section 1
IMG_9204.JPG
IMG_9208.JPG

Section 2
IMG_9205.JPG
IMG_9209.JPG

Section 3
IMG_9206.JPG
IMG_9210.JPG

Section 4
IMG_9207.JPG
IMG_9211.JPG

And finally the pinion
IMG_9212.JPG

I think you need be a bit of crystal ball reader with these things, but the engagement looks ok to me.

What say you? :)

Vin

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Should match the shiny wear pattern already there. If it's different, something moved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts