Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early1990 Spider with A/C.
Having a big problem finding a lower radiator hose.
What is the correct part number, and can anyone recommend a supplier in the NYC area.
Already received 2 incorrect replacements.
(one came from International, the other from Alfa Import Center)

Thanks,
Saliboy
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,043 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it's the same as the '91> cars, Vick has them. I just got one for my '92, and the nice thing about calling Vick (as opposed to IAP) is that you'll get to speak someone who actually knows the cars. Great service from Centerline, too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help guys but it seem my 1990 alfa spider is between years its called an earley 1990 which means it has a 1990 motor set up without a serpintine belt no power steering pump from factory. Which means I still have a problem getting this hose I tried Vicks Thank You But It seems he didn't have it either I'm still searching any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way I don't think I'm the only one with this interesting problem .

·
Registered
520 Posts
its a standard 90 bro. mines is the same. the lower radiator hose is the same as 91. the only 'bug' in the system is that theres no hole for the drain-**** on the radiator. you have to disconnect said lower hose to drain your coolant.

is there a way for me to get a part number off of the hose for ya? while your drained, you should consider replacing the thermostat. it should be going soon at around 15 years. (and again, draining the system is a huge pain)

the one thing about the 'novante' is that the lower hose runs through the belt to the AC compressor. so change that belt while your at it too.

dont get down on your 3.5 - its the best there is. light but with the high-compression engine of the S4 and none of the bloat and non-sportscar crap like power-steering and whatnot.

the body-tag on the door panel will say 89, but the car is a 90. alot of screwups will happen because mechanics think you dont know that your car is really an 89 and will put in wrong stuff. just trust in that its 90. the only stuff that is pre-90 acceptable is body parts and suspension/brakes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I'm still on the hunt although I got one for a 1989 alfa but one end was facing the wrong way seriously thinking of cutting it putting a fitting at the joint and swiveling it the opposite way for it to work getting desperate. 10/06/[email protected]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BSNO5 In Response To Your Question About The 91 Lower Radiator Hose I Tried Matching One Up It Was Different. My Car Is Considered An Early 90's Thanks For Your Concern ,Still Listening to All Responses but I'm sure someone will come up with a solution by the way I still have the old Lower radiator hose still works but rather change it now then later.

·
Registered
460 Posts
BSNO5 In Response To Your Question About The 91 Lower Radiator Hose I Tried Matching One Up It Was Different. My Car Is Considered An Early 90's Thanks For Your Concern ,Still Listening to All Responses but I'm sure someone will come up with a solution by the way I still have the old Lower radiator hose still works but rather change it now then later.
Note that there might be a restrictor in the lower hose when you take it out.
take it out noting the restrictor orientation for when you install it in the new hose. Last year I had no problen getting a hose from IAP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, there's a restrictor valve in the bypass hose, which the S4 doesn't have. No Spider has any restrictor in the lower rad hose.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Early1990 Spider with A/C.
Having a big problem finding a lower radiator hose.
What is the correct part number, and can anyone recommend a supplier in the NYC area.
Already received 2 incorrect replacements.
(one came from International, the other from Alfa Import Center)

Thanks,
Saliboy
[email protected]
Think this is what you need 60520957 RADIATOR HOSE LOWER SPIDER 90 WITH AC $34.65
see http://www.alfapartscatalog.com call Jon or Ruth Ann they are in CA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry, that must have been a dead rat I took out of the old hose and put in the new.
Here's a nice write-up about the restrictor valve:

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3837/bypassco.html

FWIW, I've had Alfa's with and without the restrictor valve, and could never tell the difference in terms of warm-up time or nominal operating temp. It's nice to have one, if your car is supposed to, but it may be the solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lower radiator hose

The time I dealt with vicks autosports was about three years ago the shop took up new owners. I forgot the name of the previous person I dealt with but he had very good connections and was able to get that OE hose very easily in which I bought two for about $30.00 each. I don't think the new owner have the same knowledge as the previous owners.i also still have the second hose in the original alfa bag.The hose is wider @ the end and smaller in the middle as stated in the threads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts