Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i installed the lower oilpan and gasket.
This has got to be the weakest link in the entire engine.
I followed the manufactures instruction, installed the new cigarettes, did not cut them, placed the new casket on top, no sealer, dry and started the torque sequence. I think there is way too much torque on those small 10 mm bolts to get it to seal.
Its down but i don't like the way it looks ,The cigarettes have squeezed out from under the pan gasket a bit maybe 1/32 i can just see a little bit. The gasket seems tight ,i cant get a 2 mm fealer gauge under it. Now ive rebuilt engines for over 30 years and while i followed instructions it just doesnt feel right.
Im open to suggestions before I mount the new rear seal and put the flywheel back on.
I dont want to do this job twice.:|

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Cording to the other posts Lucite 510 seems to be the proper solution, Just pull the cigarettes and fill with 510, how simple
No one could answer why they want you to put this over sized thing in there in the first place, I hope the rocket scientist that designed this concept wasn't expecting to seal it due to compression, maybe so we are talking 1972
I did some dumb things on aircraft engines in 1972 also.
Foot note I also have an orange rear engine seal that i was going to install, guess what the one that failed is orange

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The cigarette seals have been there from the earliest days of the Alfa twincam 4, which is 1954. Maybe earlier. And they shrink over time... yes, filling the cavity with flexible silicone engine sealant works reliably. Been there, done that. Never leaked again.

I used a 10 mm bolt to push the sealant down the cavity and make sure there is no air bubble trapped there. Don't push too much,the cavity is not a dead end - it communicates with the backside of the crank seal and you don't want to mess it up with extra goop. Been there, done that too.:oops:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The orange seals are a known problem. When mine failed, I lost two quarts of oil very quickly. I suggest the Corteco brand.

There are certainly different approaches to installation of the cigarette seals and rear main. I use a small amount of ultra-grey on the cigarettes to provide lubrication during assembly and of course to provide a more flexible seal. This seams to work well. After four years and 30k miles, no drips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts