Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the drivers side lower ball joint on my 88 Veloce. I've read different posts here and it states that a spring compressor is needed to compress the spring before removing the ball joint. I cannot find a spring compressor anywhere that will work. I've also read to not trust puting a jack under the spring pan to compress the spring as this is REALLY dangerous. What can I do ? What have any of you done when changing this ? If you have the proper spring compressor, where did you get it ?

Thanks - Terry

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - that made my day! one more question, I'm replacing the ball joint, do I need to take the tension off the spring by disconnecting and lowering the spring pan or can I just leave the spring pan connected to the control arm and place the jack under the arm & pan assembly ?

Thanks again - Terry

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have used a combination of the proposed methods. I use spring compressors to take up the tension and then a trolley jack under so that if the spring were to move it would be restrained by the compressors. So far so good.
The reason I don't compress the spring completely is that the compressors will only go so far and that is not sufficient to reduce the length of the spring for removal. That's my excuse.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a follow-up for future reference on this repair. After many warnings about removing the pressure from the coil spring before changing the ball joint I decided this was the safest way to go, more work but I'm still alive!

I fashioned a "spring Compressor" similar to what Tifosi has shown. I used two carriage bolts instead and did not connect it to the floor jack. This method worked very well, still a little scary knowing how much force is on the spring. I fastend a chain through the spring and around the suspension as an extra precaution.

Anyway - all went well. Thanks everyone for your help.

Terry

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You did run them through the cross corner bolt holes in the spring pans though, right?

Good plan with the chain, as like an old split rim truck tire, it usually only takes once to figure out just how bad it can be without precautions.

Pleased that it all worked out for ya.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tifosi,

Yes I used the cross corner holes and yes it did save me hundreds of dollars. But I would also like to thank Rex Chalmers and Al Pinkowsky, both Alfa mechanics in the Milwaukee area who were more than happy to give me some free advise and encouragement over the phone.

Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts