Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started to replace the passenger side ball joints yesterday on my Verde. Got the old lower ball joint out and started to put the new one in, but cannot seem to figure out how to get the splined part seated in the A-Arm.

I'm sure someone has a suggestion as to how to do it (probably something stupidly simple too) but I couldn't find a thread that mentioned it and the shop manual is of no help.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
13,679 Posts
Hi Matt,
I assume that the A arm is still installed in the car. There was a thread about this within the past week or so. Search on my name and ball joint and you should find it. I pressed mine in with the A arms out of the car but others have done it in-situ by freezing the ball joint before hammering it in with a piece of pipe and a bfh.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Another option is a ball joint installation tool set borrowed from your local parts store, basically a huge c-clamp you use to squeeze the ball joint and lower a-arm together. The trick is to tighten the c-clamp as much as possible, then hit the lower a-arm with a hammer a few times to get the ball joint to move, then tighten some more, then hammer some more, slow process but it works. You will also need to get the front end as high as you can to have room for the C-clamp.

Performance Tool W89304 - Performance Tool Racing Ball Joint Service Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts