Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, one of the threads on the 'dog bone' that the lower A arms attach to is stripped. I didn't notice on disassembly, but the fine M16 x 1.0 thread is stripped on one side of the spigot, not visible until I took the casting off the car.

Is it possible for a machine shop to repair such an external thread with full strength, or am I looking for a used part with good threads? If so, does anyone have one, perhaps off a parts car?

My GT is in Malaysia, and there are next to no scrapped cars here that I know about.

·
Administrator
13,234 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Local advice seems to be to turn the old thread off and cut a new M15 x 1.0 thread, rather than build up with weld and re-cut M16. Which would be stronger? Probably not much in it?
Would prefer a second-hand part if I can find one.

·
Administrator
13,234 Posts
Helicoil

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is an external thread, so a helicoil won't work. Recutting down to M15*1 will do quite nicely; if there's enough force on the dogbone to strip an M15 thread you have got bigger problems to worry about.

·
Administrator
13,234 Posts
Oops, sorry. Yeah don't weld

Pete

·
Registered
863 Posts
im sure you could dig up a second hand one, post a photo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im sure you could dig up a second hand one, post a photo.
This was sorted in less than a couple of hours by the excellent Mega Auto in Jalan Kuchai Lana Entrepreneur Park.
Turn down and cut M15x1 thread, and make a new nut from 24mm hex bar, as metric fine half nuts are not obtainable here.
Nice GT Junior and a saloon in the shop!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts