Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi, I've had issues in the past with those little solid state pumps, possibly self inflicted by not mounting correctly to reduce the change of air pockets / cavitation - but I've found the cylindrical units to be much more resilient (And quieter)

like this one:

Facet 12v Cylindrical Electronic/Electric Fuel Pump - Race/Racing/Rally/Kit Car | eBay

I currently have a Carter pump installed - like this : CARTER COMPETITION SERIES ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP 72 GPH. 4-6 PSI. 1/4" NPT I FMP4070 | eBay

which is very robust (and expensive), but also quite noisy even on the special rubber mountings...

One trick with these - as you're feeding a swirl pot which overflows back to the main tank - these low pressure pumps don't have any back-pressure to push against (as they would if feeding a needle / seat in a carburettor) the back pressure quietens them down - so inserting a restricting orifice into the feed line from the pump to the swirl pot can make things much quieter. It gives the pump something to push against rather than free-running.
Something like a welding tip inserted int he line works well :) Obviously make it too small and it will starve the pot under full load and defeat the purpose..

I hope that helps :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Nothing to stop you from using a conventional EFI type pump to fill the pot.
1 exactly the same as the 1 that feeds the injectors will flow more than enough for the job.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Autodelta set-up from back in the day for GTAm was two Facet/Bendix low-pressure pumps mounted low in the chassis to fill the swirl pot in the trunk and a high pressure pump mounted in the trunk for the injection system.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Forgot to mention, an EFI type pump only builds pressure because it's pushing against the fuel pressure regulator, Without that flow restrictor, very little pressure will be built up and the pump will flow more than it would in a typical EFI installation. It's current draw will probably be lower, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts