Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Webers require around 3.5 PSI fuel pressure.
Most you see commonly available are 4 - 8 psi.
What fuel pump(s) are best options without having to use a regulator and a gauge?
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
The FACET pump sold by Centerline and others as low pressure/high volume, combined with a restored FRB11 or the Filter King regulator shown below are popular combinations. The Filter King unit is usually available on e-bay as well as from race shops.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Having used quite a few pumps I've come to the conclusion that the Facet that Gordon showed is the only one worth a crap. I use them with a Filter King regulator (make sure to get one with a glass or metal bowl, the plastic bowl ones have had problems.)

You don't really need a permanent gauge.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
I prefer the Carter P4060 pump used with a filter king regulator. I tried the Facet Bendix pump for a while because it is quieter but I whent back to the Carter. My issue was that the Facet had problems pulling from a top entry fuel tank that does not have an additional internal pump and it would lose its prime and then I had to pressurize the tank to reprime it. The Carter pump does not have that problem and it is half the price of the Facet, https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P4070-Line-Electric-Fuel/dp/B000CIQ5DG

I would not run any pump without a good regulator with Webers. Mine is et to 2.5 psi.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My Duetto fuel system will get a makeover during the "Stay Home" order.
Petrol hasn't been this cheap in over 15 years!
Question: Will car parts being flown from overseas (UK) be held up by the shutdown?
Thanks folks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Another option is Mitsuba FP3.
Used in conjunction with a filter king regulator...

mitsuba-denpon-2013-227-006.jpg

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
My issue was that the Facet had problems pulling from a top entry fuel tank that does not have an additional internal pump and it would lose its prime and then I had to pressurize the tank to reprime it.
You may have gotten a bad pump. The Facet Gold shown is rated to 18" dry lift. I've got them on my GTV and Giulia (both with top-entry tanks and no booster pump) and have never, ever lost prime.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Actually, now that I recall, there are versions of the Facet Gold that are free flow (will flow when off) and versions that are anti-siphon (they have a positive flow cut-off when turned off.) The one Centerline sells specifically says it is the anti-siphon version. If you got a free flow one then, yeah, fuel will potentially flow back into the tank when turned off.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Pump should be mounted low, near the rear axel. That helps pull the gas from the tank. Any loose hose clamp from the tank to the pump will pull air, causing a no or hard start.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Isn't the in tank boost pump a low pressure pump? only a few PIS? the OP's name suggests he has a 78...that should have the in tank pump if the recall was done. In that case you may not even need the main pump by the rear axle if all you are doing is feeding carbs.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
I have a 79 that I bought in 99 and it never had an internal pump while I owned it. Also, the internal pumps were unreliable and anyone converting to Webers most likely got rid of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've used an electric Hardi diaphragm fuel pump for a while, without an external regulator. I liked it, because of its silence. When it fills the carbs it ticks, but when on pressure it will tick only now and then to keep the pressure on (you won't hear this because the engine will be running in this state).

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
The rubber isolator kit makes a big difference on noise with the Facet pump. You can hear the pump with the car off but not with the car running.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Basically this setup:

As an FYI, on the US cars it's pretty easy to mount the Facet pump in the SPICA pump location. If you get M6 threaded rubber isolators they just screw right in. The spacing on the body holes is wider than the Facet, but you can use a short steel piece with a couple of holes to bridge from one isolator to one of the pump mounting holes.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Those isolators are a must with the Carter pump. I only hear the pump before I start the engine.

When I was having trouble with my facet pump it was pointed out to me on the ABB that it should be mounted vertically and not in the Bosch pump orientation so I changed it and it still was a problem

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Yeah, the Spica pump holes are side by side, so if you use them the Facet ends up in the correct vertical orientation.

On my '63 Giulia there was actually already a bracket back there for an electric fuel pump, I guess for the Veloce models? The Facet bolted right up to that.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Veloces in the old times came with a Bendix pump. Facet is the Chinese copy. It has a built in filter in the bottom so it needs to be mounted vertically.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
The rubber isolator kit makes a big difference on noise with the Facet pump. You can hear the pump with the car off but not with the car running.
Yes, you cannot hear the Facet pump when the engine is running. I have a Facet pump with the isolators feeding a Fispa filter/regulator feeding twin 40 DCOE Webers with 2 psi. Works great

1 - 20 of 22 Posts