Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
why do people post ads without prices?

Don't know. Makes is difficult all way around though.
I think as often as not, folks are afraid they are going to
under-price something, so rather than doing some homework
(which is admittedly hard to do when prices aren't listed in ads or removed
after something sells) they just wait and see what they are offered?

·
Registered
301 Posts
why do people post ads without prices?
Not to derail this thread, but this is one of my biggest irritations. I usually won't even bother replying to an ad without a price -- usually far too much hassle. It basically means to me that either the buyer wants a price that's out of line with the market (on the high side) or wants to casually take offers that come in over several months. Unless it's a really special car (most aren't), I have no patience for either of these games.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not mine, but I took a serious look at it this week. On Craigslist out of Buffalo, NY.
OP, what were your impressions?

Forgive me if I'm being cynical, but when I see a body shop selling a car on CL with an undisclosed price and using phrases like "in as purchased condition" and replaced exhaust "sounds original" (*** does that even mean??) I've already drawn my own conclusions. But maybe I'm wrong?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kovs: I went with a hope the the 164 would "speak to me" in a way that made it impossible to pass up. I was impressed by many of its attributes, but it did not open the strings on the purse. Might have been the color; While I am coming from a red-with-black '91 164S with all the cladding and wings, I convinced myself I wanted something more sedate. This 164 will no doubt be put to good service, just not the right piece for my stable today.

RE the body shop; I had the same fear. It is eminently clear looking at the chassis that there has been no accident history or paint repair. The shop has a large open lot fronting on a busy thoroughfare, and seller has a business relationship with the collision shop owner. It is just sitting there "on consignment".

·
Registered
814 Posts
I apologize, I know you're not the seller, but can you offer any further observations as to condition, did you test drive it, corrosion, and what functions work or anything needing repair?

Any comment appreciated before I call the seller.

Thanks,
- Art

kovs: I went with a hope the the 164 would "speak to me" in a way that made it impossible to pass up. I was impressed by many of its attributes, but it did not open the strings on the purse. Might have been the color; While I am coming from a red-with-black '91 164S with all the cladding and wings, I convinced myself I wanted something more sedate. This 164 will no doubt be put to good service, just not the right piece for my stable today.

RE the body shop; I had the same fear. It is eminently clear looking at the chassis that there has been no accident history or paint repair. The shop has a large open lot fronting on a busy thoroughfare, and seller has a business relationship with the collision shop owner. It is just sitting there "on consignment".

·
Premium Member
15,428 Posts
Looks to be in very good condition from the photos but who knows. If indeed rust free, with that low mileage, it's not too high a price range. Can be a great car if kept up, but not for the person with little spare cash, going to school, etc, imo. Mine has run great since I bought it once engine bay dirty electrical connections were cleaned, the hvac display fixed by "goats", with only the typical 164 steering rack/pump problems otherwise.

Having good service records would enhance the deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts