Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30 yrs. ago with my first GTV ( 69 1750) had a very cool cigarette lighter in the console. ( Yes, I still smoke,,, I Know , I Know). It had an opening to slide the cigarette into with a plastic ring you pushed to light. Saw one on a site somewhere but can't locate it again. Want to include one in my 76 Spider. Does any one have an original or know where it's available? Both myself and my alfas are certainly old enough to smoke!!! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
You must be living right if you find one that works:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyone that pays $325 :eek: for that lighter must want it as ornamentation only and not to stick a cigarette in it and stain it;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
this a really special lighter and very sophisticated one , too. Originally, had also a bimetal in series with the voltage for safety reason, however, you can see rarely this bimetal in working order. In case you have one -even not working at all- I know a professional restorer around here. He has even parts for these lighters. I gave him mine and took back a better than new, amazingly got it back with the top black plastic restored,too! In some days I will also send him another two. More over, he told me that these were originally with very different specs especially in their duty circle. He corrected that , too. The one in the photo, is the restored without the bimetal switch ( I didnt had it, I will use a fuse instead, no problem). While in the photo one can see the job , in real it is by far better in appearence. Price was $70-$90 I cant recall now but the job was excellent anyway. the problem is although restorer is a very fine person he is very old and working very slowly, it took me over a month to take the lighter back...
I'm thinking now , maybe if we can send him some of these lighters in one order will make us a better price, why not. I allready have 2, so if some one else is interested let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
brico pram was standard in ferraris of the 70's like the 375GTB(and if you have one of those 300 bucks is not going to break the bank! - hence the prices....
someone thought it good enough to put on you tube !.....oh well, why not:)

reoriginals do them too
Cigarette lighter, NOS, drop-in cigarette type, barrel... - N0045X

I am guessing the knurled plastic ends are ferrari, the round plastic is alfa - but that is a guess

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loved it then, Thought I wanted one now!!!

Just got in from wk. and found several posts on the "cool lighter". Had no idea it was so serious! Maybe that's a part I should have kept lol. Thanks for all the information,, as always you guys are the bomb!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Note that there were a number of different drop-in lighters fitted to Alfas in this time period. Two are mentioned by SS4 (welcome!); ribbed and smooth collar. Later versions, and those that have the added thermal protection device, simply go 'thunk' when the cycle completes as witnessed in the vid posted by SS4. Earlier types, as posted by alfaroad, have a bell and clapper so the thing goes 'ding' when the cycle completes. :cool:

I used the original bell type lighters in our GTVs just to see the look on peoples faces. Priceless!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
This sort of lighter was original equipment on my 72 and 73 spider, but I can't seem to get my GPS, cell charger, laptop charger or ipod to fit it. I've not tried a bigger hammer, but I would really prefer the ol fashioned lighters, as I seem to remember having a little fire in a drop in, back in those days when I did smoke. Sure you want this roach eater?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wow, those are that expensive new? I still have one in my '73. Don't think it was ever used. Do you want it? I had one in my old '74 and threw it away and replaced it with a stainless cap. Also hucked the Behr air conditioner and vintage Audiovox AM-FM radio that fit the stock opening for a cheap cassette deck. Ah youth.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, those are that expensive new? I still have one in my '73. Don't think it was ever used. Do you want it? I had one in my old '74 and threw it away and replaced it with a stainless cap. Also hucked the Behr air conditioner and vintage Audiovox AM-FM radio that fit the stock opening for a cheap cassette deck. Ah youth.
Don't expect a gift but sure would offer a ' reasonable' price for it. ?????

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Note that there were a number of different drop-in lighters fitted to Alfas in this time period. Two are mentioned by SS4 (welcome!); ribbed and smooth collar. Later versions, and those that have the added thermal protection device, simply go 'thunk' when the cycle completes as witnessed in the vid posted by SS4. Earlier types, as posted by alfaroad, have a bell and clapper so the thing goes 'ding' when the cycle completes. :cool:

I used the original bell type lighters in our GTVs just to see the look on peoples faces. Priceless!
That's exactly how I described it!! The smoking bell would chime.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have a PM.
Tried to send a pm. I have 2 complete spyders I bought as parts cars and didn't need them for the soon to be completed 76. I have a rusty 74 that runs good and a 71 1750 that has a great body and mech. mysteries. Nearly anything availabe, just ask.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Jim, I know and appriciate your experience, no doubt. Are you sure that there were different types of the same working style bricos? I 'm telling for the main part and not for the different plastic colars where the lighter based on, these were different from time to time. I had many of them nearly from all 105's (1966-1977) and all were the same and all had this bimetal switch from the factory. I also checked the manuals and the part number for this lighter was the same for all 105 cars, This bimetal switch was meant mainly for safety reasons when the lighter blocks and couldnt return back after some 10-20 seconds, bimetal junction turned off so no power to the lighter. Many many cars dont have now this switch at all , or it is simply out of work so the lighter dont working from this! You can by pass this switch and give power straight on but you need to be sure that the lighter works fine and pulls out at the desired and correct time. Might be good in that case to add a fuse below there for added secure. The restorer I mentioned told me that the vital was the measured consumed amperes which dictates if lighter works in specs or not , however, right now cant recall the amperes he noticed , also tech manuals dont tell anything about this so to take it as a reference.

·
16,232 Posts
Jim,... ...Are you sure that there were different types of the same working style bricos?
Absolutely.

A lighter with chime and without thermal protection is pictured in post #5. The later version, with thermal protection and without chime, can be seen in the Re-Originals link in post #6.

I have a small handful of these lighters laying around that I could post pics of if need be.

And if memory serves, Alfa issued a TSB on the thermal device. I'll try to find it...

·
Registered
228 Posts
ok, maybe we need a better define here, I guess we are talking about the same...No 5 post and No 6 post , are of the exact the same lighter , except that in first (mine) photo dont have the thernal protection plugged in, cause I took it offand finally ..lost it . So, In my opinion we cant say for different types but for the same type with or without the protection. Thermal protection also offered from alfa as a spare part but only till late 60's. The only difference I noticed anong dozens of them in the past was a different top end of the chimey black plastic while all the other parts were the same.

·
16,232 Posts
...No 5 post and No 6 post , are of the exact the same lighter , except that in first (mine) photo dont have the thernal protection plugged in,...
No, they are NOT the same. Your lighter in post #5 has a bell; the lighter in the link in post #6 does not.

·
Registered
228 Posts
you are right jim! These are different , just now realized that the rear bell is missing on the rear end. Now, I´m confused...I´havent seen any of these without the bell on an 105, unless I miss something here and more over couldnt locate any alfa manual with different part number except only one, obviously with the bell...On the other hand one can modify the lighter taking off the bell and lighter will still work. Maybe , the one in the No 6 post although seems the same 'except the bell' isnt the 100% original for the 105´s? really dont know...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts