Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you don’t mind me linking my post from Alfaowner in the UK but we haven’t got to the bottom of it yet so i thought I’d share the issue before i embark on fairly major exploratory work, plus there's a video on their showing the noise.

To summarise, the engine has developed a loud squeak from the crank pulley area, I’ve narrowed it down to this area as when i remove the belt it’s still there so I've ruled out the water pump and alternator.

I've also bought a stethoscope to try and pin point it but no joy.

Any help will be greatly appreciated before i start taking off the crank pulley and delving further.

Thanks

Loud squeak from the crank shaft pulley?? - Alfa Romeo Forum

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
check to see that the Air Conditioning compressor pulley is not rubbing on the sway bar. This will happen when you motor mounts are shot and get mushy. The sway bar on my spider was cut by the pulley about 1/2" deep.

Jim P
'87 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim but I replaced the engine mounts recently and can't see anything rubbing.

Plus mines an S2 so my only air con is putting the roof down :)

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Hello, simongtv. I watched the video you made quite a few times and listened to the noise. I also read the posts on your thread from the other forum.

Here's my opinion on the problem since you've removed the fan belt and the the noise is still present at any RPM. The engine seems to have a mechanical fuel pump and the noise goes along with the mechanical fuel pump and operating rod. I say this because, if the crank pulley was the problem there would be a constant noise not the pulsing or wavering sound you have now.

Remove the fuel pump and operating rod and if possible block the open port in the block with a blanking plate. There should be enough fuel in the carburetter to do a test run.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chief, yes it does have a mechanical fuel pump.

I did have a listen to the pump with my stethoscope but I'll certainly investigate further as you've suggested.

Thanks for the help

Simon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts