Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my center muffler and rear replaced in May '08 with an ANSA center muffer (AR1245) and the ANSA dual tip. Now there's an awful rattling that sounds like it's coming from inside the center muffler. Has anyone experienced this before with this part? I put the car up on my ramps and checked to see if any part of the exhaust was loose, but it's all tight. If I give it a gentle thump I can hear the rattle inside so something inside it must have come loose - sounds like pebbles in a beer can and getting worse each time I drive the car. I do need the catalytic converter as I'm in BC, Canada so I'm wondering what my options are.

The least expensive the better considering that I've already had these parts replaced recently. Is it possible to take the center muffler apart and weld the parts back together inside or should I just opt for something from a different manufacturer (a sixteen month life is kinda short)? Any advice would be really helpful.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Ansa makes a decent product, it's hard to believe it went bad so soon. Could be the internals of the catalitic converter coming apart and accumulating in the middle muffler.
That's assuming the cat is original.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
That center muffler problem is common, although that lifespan is unacceptably short. Sounds like it's defective. I've never been impressed with the quality of ANSA products. My twin pipe resonator/tailpipe rusted out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had the same problem, but as there are 2 mufflers..I just had a pipe ionstalled in the front, and kept the catalic and the rear muffler. Sound is good, abet slightly loud, and I still can pass any inspection. But as I live at Lake Tahoe, I am EXEMPT from smog and other inspections. The baffle in the front muffler is loose, and should be replaced under warrantee... Good luck

·
Premium Member
22,416 Posts
Always seems to be the middle muffler that rusts/breaks/rattles first, esp on Spiders for some reason. Ansa stuff is not high quality.
Andrew

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a couple of photos of it and it really looks discolored so I can only assume that there is unburned fuel passing through which probably means the cat. is breaking down inside.

Fuel mixture is too rich? O2 sensor needs replacing? Plugs are new, valve guides got done last year, ignition switch just got replaced so that might have been the culprit. The distributor, cap and rotor look fine. Any other ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
I didn't have ANSA, but had the same sound from the center muffler. I removed it and had a straight pipe installed in its place as Don said above while keeping the rear muffler. I think it sounds much better than a "stinger" pipe and also stock, but it is a bit more of a drone on the highway.

I haven't had to smog it with this, so no idea if it affects smog - I doubt it would matter at all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be able to get around the smog issue as my '84 just turned 25 so I can get collector plates - apparently I won't need to go through smog after that so may just have the straight pipe installed and not worry about it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
As I said above...it STILL might pass smog depending on the type of unit they test with. If you go with the smooth pipe, ou will like the sound, and the feeling. Hey it is an ALFA

·
Registered
2 Posts
help!c

ive got an 1985 series 3 spider. mot just passed but exhaust baffles ratteling. is there any way to shut this up other than replacing ps i found it was the middle box, figured that if i knackerd it was going to have to replace it anyway, so located rattle with old screwdriver on ear and whacked with a club hammer it worked however dont know how long for!

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
No good way other than replacement.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Is that silver looking muffler/thing the one that rattles? It sure looks like a CAT and not a muffler - that outer shape appears to me like a heat shield ( all aftermarket CATS have one ) - if it is a CAT and is rattling, you've prolly lost your 'biscuit' the part that does all the catalyzing. It's directional, and will eventually turn around and block the exhaust pipe - you will have a hard time just doing 25mph. Banana in the tailpipe [ thank you Eddie Murphy! Beverly Hills Cop 1984 ]

On the issue of CATS, this is a good starting point.

I've had good luck with Magnaflow CATS:

California 332004 [ ~$185 amazon ]

You may have a particular vendor you prefer in Canada, but this fits a weld in line car in the USA & mets California regs. They also make an OEM version, so be sure to get the one that fits your exhaust system.

California 332511 ~$465 amazon ]

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a similar issue with my cat, - loud rattling. I found the issue to actually be the outer heat shields themselves. Went to Home Depot and bought a couple of large hose clamps (air duct type). Wrapped them around both ends of the cat, tightened them down. A cheap fix, and worked great.

·
Premium Member
14,815 Posts
If it is the center box then it is just a resonator. It does not affect emissions and it has little effect on the exhaust note provided that you have a cat and a rear muffler in place.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had that problem with a Mustang I once owned. A piece of the cat's innerds had broken off and lodged in the muffler right behind it. I unbolted the muffler and took it out.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
If you have the factory cat on your 1982 to 1989 the down pipe heat shield can rattle. The shields started rattling on the cars that were driven daily after a couple of years. Take the cat off and cut off the heat shield. You don't really need it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts