Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else has noticed how many cars have really loud exhaust systems lately?
They're just plain loud and don't even sound good.
There's a lot to be said for a good, tuned exhaust system!

And then there's the guys with their "Carolina Squat" trucks with freight train horns and blaring stereos. :rolleyes:

·
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The headlights are insanely bright, to the point that I have to hold my hand up to block them at night!

·
Registered
645 Posts
1978alfa, I’m with you on loud exhaust systems. Of course, nothing beats cigarette boats with straight exhausts to ruin a pleasant day on the water. At least Harleys with straight exhausts and pick ups and rice burners with nearly straight exhausts pass quickly, allowing buildings to cut down the duration of noise pollution.

Of course, these same idiots frequently add to our pleasure by essentially broadcasting rap or other crap music from their cars and boats just in case their exhaust systems didn’t get the attention their fragile egos so desperately crave.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Reactions: 1978alfa

·
Registered
69 Posts
We are all getting old ...

Pete
Well that at least helps with the loud music and exhausts. Seems to be more distant now. What? Speak up! :)

I also had to look up the Carolina Squat. Who knew that was a thing!?

I still drive a regular car (Golf) which is too low compared to all the trucks, SUV's and even the car-based raised CUV's. Their lights are typically at / near my window height. Blinding no matter how they are aimed.

·
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Whether we're crotchety old folks or not, they still sound terrible compared with the masters who did it right.
Tune in to the vintage diva Ferrari V 12's, Maserati's and the haunting sound of the Matras at LeMans on Youtube.

If you're going to do LOUD, at least do it right!

Carolina Squat has different names like Tennessee Tilt.
It supposedly evolved from the Baja race trucks that are set up that way to deal with the rough terrain on the race courses.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I agree with the exhaust comments.. The guy across the street has a Charger Hellcat. He is 35 years old in a 12 year old body and thinks redlining it out of the neighborhood is cool.. It shakes my neighbor's dishes in the cupboard when he warms it up and spins the tach.. Then there are the pickups who think they are auditioning for a Mad Max movie.. It all boils down to choppers getting away with murder on noise for so long which is just translated over to 4 wheelers in STOCK form. Vroom Vroom must be Detroit's new hook to sell vehicles.. especially trucks..... the overwhelming favorite vehicle on 4 wheels out of the US showrooms.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Along the pet peeve’s, I’d like to add I don’t get the cars that run like 10 degrees of negative camber, on all four corners, tire contact is about 1 inch. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a little camber, but the excessive amounts I’ve seen not only looks stupid, is probably very unsafe but is most likely stable in standing water. I feel better now.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I wonder what folks thought in the late 40 and 50s when fenderless and rodded '31-33 Ford Highboys, with tricked-out flathead V-8s, were prowling the streets of America. Some guys even transplanted Cadillac ambulance V-8s into mid-to-late 30s street rods.
Loud, fast, and obnoxious, both cars and drivers! Some of them even became heroes like Steven "Andrews" McQueen in The Blob!

Ray

Reactions: nickypp

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

1. I have a 4C, it’s pretty loud. Dual mode titanium exhaust is very loud when in straight pipe mode but the turbo and cat do provide some noise reduction. Closed valve is quieter but stil loud, when in the gas. It is perfect. Halogen headlights so low they won’t bother anybody.

2. I have a 2.0 Stelvio. Stock exhaust was tuned to sound like a Toyota, so now it has a supersprint stainless exhaust. It is now perfect. Bi-Xenon headlights are great, but I get flashed every now and then.

3. I have a gtv6. Shankle headers, no cat and a broken in exhaust. It is beyond perfect. A set of Japanese halogen headlights don’t bother anybody.

4. I have a Milano. Stock factory exhaust and cat. 2.5 sounds great at redline, a ton of mechanical and induction noise. It is perfect. OEM US headlights even with good bulbs are a joke. It has hella fog and driving lights. Now I can see.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have to say my biggest complaint about vehicles these days is headlight brightness. is it just me or have headlights become almost blinding?
Actually no. LED's are bright, sure, but non LED's aren't bright at all, you can't see anything. Another part of that is alignment and headlight construction. A well constructed and aligned headlight you can literally see the cut off line where the light ends. If aligned properly the cutoff line will be slightly below eye level of oncoming drivers. My father switched to LED's on his Tacoma and I can literally see the cutoff line, it's freaking cool.

·
Registered
663 Posts
So then y'all probably wouldn't like the side exit I made for my 'Fetta...

ANSA style 3 piece headers into a small straight which goes into a 2.5" dia 12" long Cherry Bomb, which goes straight pipe for a while before it hits the end section which is a custom section I made inspired by the GTA racing side exits that has a small resonator box in it and doubles as the tip. It's all 2" except for where it adapts up and down from the Cherry Bomb so I can have at least a little ground clearance.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Actually no. LED's are bright, sure, but non LED's aren't bright at all, you can't see anything. Another part of that is alignment and headlight construction. A well constructed and aligned headlight you can literally see the cut off line where the light ends. If aligned properly the cutoff line will be slightly below eye level of oncoming drivers. My father switched to LED's on his Tacoma and I can literally see the cutoff line, it's freaking cool.
I now have visual examples. I know we like pictures...
Line Font Display device Parallel Electronic device

·
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Tasteless: Does it at least sound good?

Yes, Good LED's with correct lenses with the cutoffs make a huge difference.
They put bright light where it needs to be and doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts