Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '87 Quad Spider with AC has the aux fan, which functions as it should; comes on during AC use as well as during periods of higher under hood temps...and shuts off normally.
When it comes on, it is extremely LOUD. Not in a failing bearing sort of way, just a loud fan. Is this normal? Are there quieter replacements available? Finally- how does one get to the fan/ Is it necessary to pull the hood and radiator?
Thanks guys..!!

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Does it sound like maybe the blades are rubbing on the cover or rubbing on something else?
There are plenty of other fans that could be used. Spal makes some good ones.
I don't see a way to access with the radiator in place but maybe there are tricks i don't know about to get it out.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it sound like maybe the blades are rubbing on the cover or rubbing on something else?
There are plenty of other fans that could be used. Spal makes some good ones.
I don't see a way to access with the radiator in place but maybe there are tricks i don't know about to get it out.
Thanks Greg- I don't think it's rubbing on anything; no reciprocal or rotating noise...just a loud fan when it runs- very disquieting; I don't know if this is natural to her or not....I guess I should have checked it out when I had the rad out changing the engine fan (sigh).....c'e la vie. Any particular model fan #s from Spal that you know of?

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Thanks Greg- I don't think it's rubbing on anything; no reciprocal or rotating noise...just a loud fan when it runs- very disquieting; I don't know if this is natural to her or not....I guess I should have checked it out when I had the rad out changing the engine fan (sigh).....c'e la vie. Any particular model fan #s from Spal that you know of?
Just the largest that will fit in front of the A/C condenser that is a pusher fan, not a puller. Get the condenser dimensions and find one that is almost as large in diameter as the smallest dimension of the condenser.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just the largest that will fit in front of the A/C condenser that is a pusher fan, not a puller. Get the condenser dimensions and find one that is almost as large in diameter as the smallest dimension of the condenser.
You raise an interesting point about pusher/pullers. If I recall, when I changed my engine fan I oriented it as a puller; meaning it pulls air through the radiator. The AC/aux fan as you state should logically be a pusher so the two fans don't conflict, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
You raise an interesting point about pusher/pullers. If I recall, when I changed my engine fan I oriented it as a puller; meaning it pulls air through the radiator. The AC/aux fan as you state should logically be a pusher so the two fans don't conflict, correct?
Correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts