Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Wonder if anyone has suggestions. I am a novice, especially with intricacies of weber tuning.

1974 spider, converted from SPICA to webers. Its a rescue car, previous owner emigrated leaving car behind, initially purchased non running needed engine rebuild, done professionally about 6 years ago. I'm doing the rest of the work myself. Car running fine past 6 years.

head gasket blew last week; repair underway (thanks BB for step by steps), noted tons of carbon on pistons and head.
Always noticed fuel smell in exhaust and poor fuel economy. Exhaust pipe black. Not consuming oil. Suspect running rich.

Ignition is Crane optical, not sure about advance but engine seemed to be running fine before the head gasket blew.

Here's the carb info:
Weber type 40 DCOE 72/73 (emission carbs?)
32 mm choke
F34 emulsifier
135 main jet
55 F 17 idle jet
I did check the floats and seemed within spec in terms of clearance measurements (did this a while ago so memory not clear about exact measurements).
Fuel pressure is 2-3 PSI.
Idle mix screw has to be along way out. many turns to get smooth idle.

I believe the cams are original, stock compression pistons/liners.

Am I jetted correctly given the type of carbs (emissions?) and these symptoms? How can I confirm rich mix? Should i consider other possibilities before getting into carbs?

Grateful for leads into how to approach this question.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response ed
I have to get the engine back together and running. Then I will take you up on the kind offer to loan the idle jets, after I check fluid level in carb float chambers.
I appreciate your help
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts