Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help.
I have a '67 GTV which I got from the original owner (traded straight up for a 72 spider). he put a conn rod through the block in 1979 and parked it in his mom's garage in NY.
-Fast forward-
he's now in Colorado, moves mom out and puts her in his rental. She throws the Alfa on the moving van, and the car spends the next decade in her garage in CO.
-fast forward-
2010. Mom moves into a nursing home, I find out about the car and he needs the car out of the garage. takes the trade. I get the car running and now I need to title and enjoy. Problem is, the title is nowhere to be found, and the process for obtaining a title in Colorado is pretty prohibitive without the original documents.

Anyone out there have an experience like this, especially in NY or CO? how did you get a title? my car needs to see the open road, it's been sleeping for 32 years! I am able to contact the PO, but he didn't get anywhere with the NY DMV, apparently they don't have records that far back. I do have the registration sticker on the windshield, which expired in 1980.
Stan

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well Stan; it is not that difficult. Fortunately, your car is old.
Do a search on Google (get a title for an old car), you can put together your documentation of the sale and then send it off to one of these companies that will supply you with the documents to title your car in CO. Several years ago I used one of these companies to get a title for my Giulia Super. I had (have) an Italian Title for the car but IL was just not interested in issuing a title. I stopped fighting them and used one of these services. I got my IL in two weeks. Another benefit: I still have my cool Italian title!

David

·
Registered
837 Posts
So I guess the PO tried filing in New York for a lost title? It seems like the state of New York should be able to at least issue him a new one, which he then can transfer to you.

Glancing through the Colorado Motor Vehicles, I see that you can get a bonded title:

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Vehicle Record Searches

Basically you will request a VIN number inspection, which will reveal if stolen, etc., who you bought the vehicle from, and a Surety Bond (usually around $50). The state will then do a search of their records to see if the vehicle was ever registered in Colorado, or any other state. When it comes up blank, which it will, since New York no longer has the records, they will send you a form indicating that the car in question has a clear history.

You will then take your certified VIN inspection, your bond form, and any other paperwork, and get a new Bonded Title. This title will be good enough to register it in Colorado, and should show as a normal title for the next owner should you sell it.

I did the same thing down here in New Mexico for a '63 Corvair without a title. It took about 4 months to go through the process, although on another vehicle I owned, a '60 Chevrolet wagon, it took only a month.

Good-luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts